Wall Street Journal 2/4/13

Came here to post that very article... Yeah, things are pretty rough here. Hopefully once this bill passes it will get slightly better. As a soon-to-be graduate, even this bill isn't going to be enough to keep me in this state. The general attitude toward PAs (mainly due to the Kentucky Medical Association) is pretty demeaning. I'll go where my services are appreciated...

It's not really additional training. Like the article says, a PA who has been in practice for over a year is not allowed to see patients if their SP calls in sick and there is no other MD on site. It also means that the doc cannot leave the building at any time during the day and have the PA continue seeing patients. It's an arbitrary and intrusive rule that is driving new grad PAs away from the state (one of the most medically underserved states in the country, I might add) in droves. I'm not saying new grads should be working solo nights in a rural ED, but 18 months is an excessive and unrealistic burden on PAs and the doctors who hire us.

The article was good. Has anyone read the comments? Very discouraging. I know this represents a portion...assuming the minority...at least hoping. I thought about jumping on there but it seemed like there was a bunch of ignorant, ill-informed people.

I just moved to Kentucky a couple of weeks ago. I am out of the 18 month window. I came from Texas where the law is in favor of the PAs. Hearing about this 18 month rule made me appreciate where I came from...a place that supports site-based delegation. The state if Kentucky should not dictate who is or is not capable of having the ability to practice medicine as a PA...because they already did when they granted the state license. This ability to have autonomy should be up to the supervising physician. Sure, a new grad will not be completely by themselves initially...at least I would hope so. This decision should be up to the doc. It is doing way more harm than good...with new grads heading elsewhere for work...I don't blame them.

Dont NPs have full independence in Kentucky? (i.e. no supervision by MDs, no "collaboration", full DEA schedule II)?

I wonder what the Kentucky Medical Association was doing while the nurses were running wild in that state?

Yep... NPs have pretty much every privilege we lowly PAs could ever dream of, including schedule II rx rights. I'm new to the game, but what I've heard from some of the long time Kentucky PAs is that there have been a few members of the KMA who have specifically had it out for PAs for many years now. They are slowly being replaced, but a lot of the damage has been done. It is very difficult to get these laws reversed. The NPs don't really have to answer to the KMA. I think they are under the nursing board unless I'm mistaken...

Archived