DUINS residency outside of Navy

I was wondering if a Navy PA could even possibly apply for doing a civilian residency under DUINS, or could you only do the navy EM/Ortho residencies? I ask because I would like to increase my chances of getting into a residency, of course Navy EM is my number one, but I would like to apply for other EM residencies since there are only 2 spots.

I'm a HSCP student. Don't have one and won't bother with me until about 12-6 months from graduating and my recruiter doesn't know enough about it. I skimmed the BUMED notes, which makes it sound like you can in it's general section, but says nothing about it when it talks specifically about PA residencies (the navy EM/Ortho).

I was told by the detailer that we (as in HPSP and HCSP students) are not eligible to apply for a Navy residency until our initial time commitment is fulfilled. So at a minimum we will be waiting 3 years till we can apply for the residency.

Thanks, Schmittie. I've also been wondering about that.

Anyone have an idea how competitive the EM residency is? I did see that the ones who got it this year were both LT.

Have you contacted anyone on the NAPA (Naval Association of Physician Assistants) and asked them? I'm guessing that would be one of your better sources of information on the subject matter. Its in the link below, but you know if you do the EM residency through the Navy you are required to go with either the Marines or Navy special warfare.

http://www.napasite.net/Resources/Documents/Emergency_Medicine_Physician_Assistant_Slide_PresentationApproved%20(4).pdf

PM me your email and I can send it, or you can find it under MSC > physician assistant specialty board. On left hand side about mid-page you'll see a bunch of stuff about DUINS and one is a PPT that gives more info about the residency, the utilization tours, competitiveness (interested applicants out to FY14), what they are looking to do with it in the future, and requirements.

It unfortunately did not definitively say about doing other residencies under DUINS, but like the old PPT, there is a list of other residencies. Not sure if this is a list just giving a general comparison or others that you could possibly do.

I was told by the detailer that we (as in HPSP and HCSP students) are not eligible to apply for a Navy residency until our initial time commitment is fulfilled. So at a minimum we will be waiting 3 years till we can apply for the residency.

Depending on how many applicants there are I would plan on needing to apply during your second tour. If the DUINS board is deciding between you(someone in his first tour-likely a shore billet) and others who have a few years under their belt, been on deployment(s), served in operational billets etc, who do you think is going to get selected? I'm finishing up my first tour (shore command) and going to an operational billet. I'm going to apply during my time at my next command and hopefully get picked up. If I tried to tell you how competitive they are I would be making stuff up. I heard there was 7 applicants for the 3 ortho spots this past cycle. No idea about the ER one.

Your first tour is your "utilization tour". You will have to complete that first, then you can apply. This has been the standard for quite some time. I know the last 5 people selected for the Ortho fellowship and they had prior experience and completed atleast 1 tour (some more, and prior service). Most deployed. They are looking for applicants that have shown an aptitude to serve in Navy Medicine as well as those with the intellectual acumen.

Additionally, if you are overseas you must be back CONUS for atleast 24 months prior to applying. This prevents members from PCSing overseas then coming right back. It states that in the application info if you look closely.

On another note, there is serious discussion in the ranks to starting another EM fellowship site on the east coast...

Additionally, if you are overseas you must be back CONUS for atleast 24 months prior to applying. This prevents members from PCSing overseas then coming right back. It states that in the application info if you look closely.

The only thing that I've seen is that you have to be "eligible to PCS" and that "exceptions are made at 24 months on a case by case basis". I know one person who left an operational billet in Hawaii early to go to the Ortho Fellowship. Probably just came down to timing/she is a rock star.

Making someone wait until they are back CONUS for 24 months doesn't make sense. Making them fulfill the entire overseas tour does (i.e., you have to wait until the second year of a 3 year tour to apply so that the timing works out for you to PCS back at the end of the tour)

For the purposes of this issue HI is not considered OCONUS. Weird that way huh?

To clarify, you may apply on return but cannot start prior to 24 months on station. This where the "eligible to PCS" part comes in to play.

And yes, as always ther can be exceptions... ;)

I currently fill a SM role in addition to FP. This is sometimed considered an accelerator for competitiveness though I cannot say this will be true for the future now that the selection committee has turned over.

How's life otherwise Metallicat?

• 1 month later...

Metallicat:

Just FYI, I know of plenty of IPAP students from the most recently graduated class that have gone on to operational billets for their first tour. Don't know if it's different for the direct accession folks, but I would think that current "needs of the Navy" dictate orders more than any sort of ideal career progression.

Metallicat:

Just FYI, I know of plenty of IPAP students from the most recently graduated class that have gone on to operational billets for their first tour. Don't know if it's different for the direct accession folks, but I would think that current "needs of the Navy" dictate orders more than any sort of ideal career progression.

Archived