PA school/family timing. Advice from the parents in the group pls!

Hi, I have been a member (mostly lurker) since 2008, but I've name-changed for this thread. I have a huge decision to make, and I hope you don't mind me asking for some input here on the forum. The PAs I know are young and childless at the moment, so can only really appreciate part of my dilemma. And I feel pretty lost.

I am certain about PA school. I have been working towards it for years. I have the grades (3.78), the GRE (1390), and 2,500hrs of CE (and counting). The city in which I live has an extremely competitive program

(1000 applicants for 50 spots). I did not even get an interview. The only other program in the city is still highly regarded but less competitive. I can apply soon to start in a year. We cannot move, due to my husband's job.

I am 33; we have an 18-month-old. We want to have one more baby. We did not really have trouble getting pregnant, but I do have fibroids, which could cause problems getting pregnant. (Sorry TMI. Want to lay it all out!)

We are trying to make the decision between:

A) applying now to the other school, getting pregnant at the end of 2nd year, staying with baby while looking for a job. Which means getting pregnant at 35/36.

Or

B) Putting off PA school until after 2nd baby. Continuing to gain CE in the meantime.

My worries are as follows: I have a very 'needy' baby. How will I be able to handle two with the pressures of PA school? Will I never actually fulfill my dream of being a PA? Can we afford childcare? Will I miss 2nd baby's babyhood?

Otoh, the only 'real' time worry is my fertility. What if we can't get pregnant? What if I have a bad pregnancy (no issues last time). Will I have trouble getting a job after being off with baby after school?

I apologize if these are terribly naive questions. I just feel stuck with a difficult decision. I'd love some input from the moms and dads amongst you. Any advice appreciated. Thank you!!

From an old fashioned mom I would tell you to have the second baby, enjoy your life with your children, bring them up right and don't worry about school now. Children and family are a heck of a lot more important than a career. You can enter PA school when kids start school. If you husband has stable income and career, then don't worry or feel guilty for not working or going to school. You will never regret being home with babies, unless you don't like kids. The women's liberation movement did more damage to women than we are willing to admit.

humm

apply to the easier to get into program - think of school as the purchase price to getting into the PANCE exam..... in reality that is what it is....

can defer admission for a year

can't really offer advice beyond that as it is such a personal question....

• 3 weeks later...

If it helps any, I chose to take time off and have my family. I knew there was no reason to put myself and my family through the stress of being a breastfeeding mom (until my kids were 12-18 months old), full time student and work on HCE. My babies were more important. Now that they are both in school (and off the boob), it's a little easier to deal with. I don't think I will be able to do anything other than be a part of the family and be a student when I actually get into a program.

i also chose to wait until my kids were in school before i also started pa school. i start this summer and my kids are 4 and 6. i felt like i still missed some of my youngest childs "babyhood" just while i was working and finishing up prereqs. i can't imagine doing pa school and having young babies. i would wait. it's only a few more years, and your babies are only young once. good luck!

Archived