Masters Degree in Pharmacology?

So I had an interview at my top choice program, and I didn't get in... Now I have an interview next week at a different program but am doubtful that I will get in (since I got rejected from the other program, I didn't even get on the wait list). I am looking at my options in case I don't get accepted into any PA programs this year. I came across a program that is a masters degree in pharmacology, which would start in the fall, and be finished after spring semester next year. I am wondering if this would help me get into a PA program while also furthering my education in an area that will be needed as a PA.

A little background on me...

My grades are not the greatest, my GPA is around a 3.4 with my science GPA being a little lower. I do not want to retake courses if I don't have to, as I would rather further my education and take masters classes that shows I am capable of doing well in advances science courses....

I have around 2,500 hours as a certified pharmacy technician.

I have volunteered at a free clinic as a pharm tech.

I went to Nicaragua on a medical trip last year.

I have shadowed four different PA's for around 80 hours.

I have volunteered in various settings.

I am graduating with my bachelors in biology this spring (I am graduating a year early).

I just turned 21.

No matter what happens for the next year, I want to become a PA. So if I don't get in this year, I will be reapplying next year, and I want to do my best to set myself up for success.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

BIO I w/ lab A-

BIO II w/ lab C

A&P I w/ lab B

A&P II w/ lab B+

Microbiology w/ lab B+

CHEM I w/ lab A

CHEM II w/ lab C+

OCHEM I w/ lab B

Into to Psych A-

English Comp A-

Statistics B

Medical Terminology A-

I also took Human Physiology (upper level biology) and got a B. I transferred universities after my first semester of college, and had a hard time transitioning (both BIO II and CHEM II were from this semester).

You've managed to get 2 interviews. Grades arent the issue, your interview skills, public speaking or knowledge of the profession is. If I were you I would do as follows: track down a toast masters club to work on public speaking, shadow to get a better understanding of what PAs do and why YOU want to be a PA, and retake your preqs with a C to show commitment. A 1 year masters degree in pharm might be useful in school, but probably won't get you into a PA program.

How many hours do you recommend getting in shadowing? So far I have around 80 hours of shadowing (emergency medicine, internal medicine, family practice, and work health and safety).

Thank you for the recommendations, I really appreciate it!

Also, I know people always say the more patient care experience the better, any suggestions on a specific type of patient care to get? (CNA, EMT, PTA)?

I would talk to the program you weren't admitted to and see if they can give you any guidance on what you need to do to improve your chances next year. It may be a combination of factors - a little bit those Cs in your prerequisites, maybe a little bit the type of HCE you have or how you did in the interview. I have a hard time believing anyone would find 80 hours of shadowing to be too little.

Try not to go into this next interview assuming you won't get in. If they picked you to interview you have a good shot at getting in. Now you know a little more what to expect and you will definitely have an easier time with the interview. Best of luck.

I think you need to stay focused on the interview you have next week. Read everything you can about the program, get excited about what they have to offer and how you fit into the program. Try to do a mock interview at your undergrad. Call the program you just to denied from and see what they said. If you go into the interview thinking you won't get in, you won't. You can always figure your next steps out later. Good luck!! Oh and ps remember to keep your answers positive and consistent!

Archived