"so, you are going to be a doctor?"

Guest lisnek

why do so many of our "descriptions" say SUPERVISED, rather than PARTNERSHIP then?

i personally love your succint description and that is the one i have been using - however, in truth - i think supervision is more accurate (at least in written descriptions of our profession).

lisnek -in the state in which I work pa's are "supervised" until they pass boards and "sponsored" therafter with different rules for the pa vs the pa-c

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Physician assistants (PAs) practice medicine with physician supervision. Like physicians, PAs are trained in the medical model in educational programs that are located at medical schools, teaching hospitals, academic medical centers, and in military medical centers. Practicing in physician-directed teams, PAs can be found in all medical and surgical specialties, and in a wide variety of practice, educational and research settings.

straight off AAPA website - we are "supervised", not in "partnership" as LA described earlier.

such a shame - many of us are, indeed, in partnership!

supervision - noun management by overseeing the performance or operation of a person or group

supervise - –verb (used with object), -vised, -vis·ing. to oversee (a process, work, workers, etc.) during execution or performance; superintend; have the oversight and direction of.

To have the charge and direction of; superintend.

watch and direct; "Who is overseeing this project?" [syn: oversee]

keep tabs on; keep an eye on; keep under surveillance [syn: monitor]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

certainly can read it alot of ways...............

My use of the word "partnership" actually came from an AAPA PR campaign, "PArtners in Medicine".

With my first shift behind me, though, I am not feeling like a "partner" but rather clinging to the idea of supervision... and making me wonder if some docs would think it arrogant that we might consider the word "partner"...

I dunno... rambling here...

Guest tmarkie
Not at all, I know a few docs who think in that very way.....

Also known a few a$$#0le$ to.......

Amen to that brother!

I'm currently having a run in with both over an issue of rounding on patients. There is a second hospital in our area (which has recently been taken over by the main hospital in the area.) A few of the Orthopods in my group take call and perform surgeries over there, and have found it a real inconvenience to get over there every day to round on the patients. They have purposed that we (the PAs in the group) do a weekly rotation of daily rounding there. Well, this has met with opposition from other Docs on the board (not even Orthopods) They believe this would lead to electronic signing of the charts by the Docs (from the other facility) and the patients never being seen by a doc after surgery - thus having less than optimal care - ridiculous!:mad: Sorry for the rant.:o (But the battles seem to never end).

Amen to that brother!

I'm currently having a run in with both over an issue of rounding on patients. There is a second hospital in our area (which has recently been taken over by the main hospital in the area.) A few of the Orthopods in my group take call and perform surgeries over there, and have found it a real inconvenience to get over there every day to round on the patients. They have purposed that we (the PAs in the group) do a weekly rotation of daily rounding there. Well, this has met with opposition from other Docs on the board (not even Orthopods) They believe this would lead to electronic signing of the charts by the Docs (from the other facility) and the patients never being seen by a doc after surgery - thus having less than optimal care - ridiculous!:mad: Sorry for the rant.:o (But the battles seem to never end).

hopefully you'll be able to keep chipping away at this....eventually this more modern concept will prevail.......

• 4 years later...

Being a new grad, as well as new PA - how do I answer that in a concise way that educates the patient? I mean a one or two liner explanation.

Some may frown on this, but my favorite response, especially to tradespeople, is "I'm like a journyman physician...I do nearly every single thing our docs do, but I can never hang a shingle for myself...I always have to work with an MD"

Overly simplistic, yes (and all of our docs are allopaths, as well), but it really seems to work well.

I just explain what a PA is .... I guess it is a big frustrating, especially on a busy day and when it is a return patient who apparently had no idea what I was when we first met (which is kind of scary when you think about it). I just explain that I practice medicine under a physician license. Once the profession is explaiend most people are interested and informed. Never has anyone said something inappropriate. And if they had a problem they could easily cancel the visit and reschedule with an MD, I would not lose sleep over that. I guess it makes sense. Only about 80,000 PAs in the US and many encounters probably go with the assumption the individual is an MD. Also, we do not have a strong presence outside of clinical practice. Our academic centers rarely take a big role in issues. For example, very frequently the nursing schools around my office have their faculty and nurses quoted in news sources and other outlets.

I know I have no credibility here, but one thing I found interesting when asking a faculty member the difference between DO program and the PA program he said, "PA go through 2/3 the education in about 1/2 the time". Maybe this is something you could add to the script. I thought it was very brief and to the point, which sounds like what many of you are looking for. Hope it helps.

I get asked if I will become a doctor all the time, the UK is just not used to PAs yet at all! In PA school they even set up an OSCE where the clinical actor kept asking if I was going to be a doctor etc several time, its even an element in our National PA Exam, I think they expect us to correct them when they call us "doctor". I have even taken to correcting my friends who now say "Neil, your a doctir, look at this for me"!

Archived