Applying for PA school with a Pass/Fail transcript

Hi,

I'm planning on obtaining my BA degree from Western Governors University, a regionally accredited fully-online institution. The only troubling thing is that the entire transcript will be a Pass/Fail transcript, essentially giving me a 3.0 GPA.

I'm planning on taking my science courses at another college, so let's assume 4.0 Science GPA. However, will a 3.0 Pass/Fail undergrad transcript kill my application?

I've never heard of an entire transcript being pass/fail. So when you say that you are planning on this, have you already started? Taking your science courses at another school with a normal grading scale is probably a good idea. Might also be a good idea for you to talk all required prereqs there as well.

I've never heard of an entire transcript being pass/fail. So when you say that you are planning on this, have you already started? Taking your science courses at another school with a normal grading scale is probably a good idea. Might also be a good idea for you to talk all required prereqs there as well.

I'm en route to finish a traditional BA at a brick and mortar school, but due to budget cuts and class shortage in CA, it will take me a good two years. I'm thinking of finishing my BA at the online university WGU since it's accelerated and cheaper and I can transfer my AA credits. Only downside is that it's a competency-based program and we don't receive grades for each class.

Where do you get the 3.0 from?

Apparently it says on the transcript that a passing grade is equal to a 3.0.

Have you contacted the PA schools you are interested in and what do they say/recommend?

I thought about this, but I don't have a specific school I want to attend. I'm open to going to any state. But I will give one of the schools a call this morning.

I would start looking at programs now...get a list of the ones you are interested in and ask them. You should have that list together anyway as it will help you figure out pre-reqs and hce requirements to meet. I cant speak to non-pre-req courses, but I can say all of the programs I looked at do not accept P/F for pre-reqs so good idea taking those elsewhere. Honestly I would probably look into other online BS programs, there are so many out there that will give grades and are affordable.

I have issues with P/F; lets say all passes equal a 3.0. A 3.0 is typically the min required to get in (nobody wants to do the bare min. though). You cant really bring that GPA up applying through CASPA because they do not calculate P/F grades. So now you have actually hurt yourself as an applicant. Yes your pre-req GPA may be spectacular but what about the overall? Now lets say you took those courses elsewhere and actually did quite well and managed all As and came out with a 4.0 .....better GPA and more competitive.

Archived