Student Blog

My motivation is the fact that lots of other blogs kind of trail off after a while. Also, this blog is intended for my fellow students and family and friends to keep them updated with what Im doing. So I hope to find a few minutes here and there.

I applaud your enthusiasm, but caution you to evaluate medical school curriculum (including syllabi and courseloads) before you spout off "I think I've heard that PA school is like 3 years of doctor school in 1 year". That just sounds ignorant.

In case you're wondering: my heaviest semester in PA school was about 24 credits, if I recall. My first semester of medical school was 40. Sound less intense to you?

We also have many more high-stakes exams ("shelf" exams) in med school and must pass 3 levels of board exams just to be initially licensed, then another set of specialty boards after residency.

It's not the same. PA school is tough, I'll grant you. Now concentrate on the learning and go be the best PA you can be.

(A caveat: blogs are public. Unless you have high-level privacy measures in place, anyone can find you. Mistakes that seem small and innocent never seem to die away in cyberspace. Fact-checking and edits are a good idea.)

We also have many more high-stakes exams ("shelf" exams) in med school and must pass 3 levels of board exams just to be initially licensed, then another set of specialty boards after residency.

A really unique thing about my PA program is that we also take the med school shelf exams in order to pass our rotations. Pretty awesome!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I went to school, I wondered (1) could I cut it, (2) could I stay connected with my family 120 miles away, (3) what study techniques would work best for me, (4) would I have any free time, and (5) what would it be like starting school with a bunch of strangers.

It worked out well for me and I tried to address these and other aspects of my experience in my book. How I ended up in school, what was it like, and what has it been like to be a PA for the past almost 7 years.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

• 4 weeks later...

Archived