New Grad Cardiology Offer - Advice Needed

I am offered a cardiology job.

- Salary is $80,000 plus an incentive bonus based on number of patients seen.

- Health and dental insurance is paid 100%.

- No life insurance, disability insurance, or retirement benefits offered. All would be out of my pocket and retirement would not be matched at a certain percent.

- Malpractice is paid at 100%, but it was not answered whether it was occurance or claims-made policy.

- Practice pays for all licensing fees and AAPA membership.

- 10 days paid vacation.

- 5 days and $1,000 CME's a year, but this does not begin until the second year of employment.

- Restrictive Covenant/Non-compete clause that states that I would not be able to work as a PA in a 25 mile radius and for 2 years after I am no longer working there.

I tried to negotiate to get more vacation days because I said the average was 15 days, and they would not budge. During the interview process, it was explained to me that the non-compete would just be for other cardiology practices, but now the contract says otherwise. I tried to negotiate on this to change to just cardiology and they would not change the contract. Basically every change I tried to negotiate on, they said no. Would any of these be a deal breaker or is it still a good offer? And especially the non-compete clause. I have always heard not to sign a non-compete clause. What would you do if you were in my situation as a new graduate. Thanks for your input.

1000 cme is low as well. That's less than 1 out of town conference....no retirement is only a big deal if you plan on staying....my first job had no retirement benefits until yr 3.

Maybe do the job for 1-2 yrs, get some experience, then get a great cards job 26 miles away....

How is 80k an reasonable offer in that area. The transit workers make that much with no education. (Nothin against transit)

I used to travel a lot in my former job and I know the cost of living is a lot higher there.

Why do PAs in that state/region allow that to be a reasonable wage. Is there that great a supply of PAs that the demand is not as high?

Not trying to slam anyone, just trying to grasp the gross disparities in PA wages. Another poster from the same region a month or so ago was asking if a job that paid in the 60s was a good deal.

It's not so much as the stats of the gig, (although non-compete is pretty harsh), than it is the "spirit of the offer".

As someone who has negotiated extensively in my real estate dealings, these kinds of offers smell to me as "I don't care what you want, this is what I want, so take it or leave it.

There is no sense of win/win that they care about.

I don't get involved in any way with deals like that. They signal the character of the people on the other end.

If they are willing to negotiate on those points then maybe, but if not, bye bye.

So low salary, low benefits, and an employer who is not willing to budge AT ALL with a horrible non-compete claus? Where is the benefit? First off you should definitely get the non compete to at least say just cardiology. Also you would be accepting a very low salary in a traditionally higher then average specialty. I really don't see a benefit of taking a job like this. I don't even know your SP but I already have a feeling on their type. Want cheap labor to improve their quality of life and think they are doing us a favor by even considering to hire us.

So low salary, low benefits, and an employer who is not willing to budge AT ALL with a horrible non-compete claus? Where is the benefit? First off you should definitely get the non compete to at least say just cardiology. Also you would be accepting a very low salary in a traditionally higher then average specialty. I really don't see a benefit of taking a job like this. I don't even know your SP but I already have a feeling on their type. Want cheap labor to improve their quality of life and think they are doing us a favor by even considering to hire us.

Love your last sentence.., that about sums it up!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1000 cme is low as well. That's less than 1 out of town conference....no retirement is only a big deal if you plan on staying....my first job had no retirement benefits until yr 3.

Maybe do the job for 1-2 yrs, get some experience, then get a great cards job 26 miles away....

I agree with you.

Young man just out of work to accumulate experience, and have the work experience to change your job. I know cardiologist Singapore is very popular, there are many rich people here. If you're good, can try to come here.

Archived