RRT vs Perfusionist vs...??

Hi all,

Fairly long-time lurker, first time poster. I have a B.A. in Psychology and I'm interested in becoming a PA eventually. I've completed most pre-req's but the idea of PA school was put on the back burner for the past year or so, mostly due to money and lack of HCE. I have my LNA (CNA in most states) and worked for about a year in a LTC/SNF. Unfortunately it really isn't feasible to live independently and pay off undergrad loans with that type of salary, and I've since taken a job doing recruiting for a medical staffing agency. I did still work per diem as an LNA a few shifts per month, and plan to do so again once I finish rehabbing a deltoid tear.

I've been looking into respiratory therapy and perfusion programs as ways to get HCE while still being able to support myself and was wondering if anyone has opinions on which would be a better option. From what I can tell so far, a main concern might be the limited job market as a perfusionist. I realize that with either of these, PA school would be quite far down the road, but I like the idea that either one could be a viable career if becoming a PA never works out.

I've also tossed around other ideas, such as an EMT certification, ER tech, surgical technologist; these are quicker options but I don't envision being able to give up a decent-paying job to make either of these a career. I guess my main question is, is it better to save $$ for a few years and become an RRT or a Perfusionist full time and then apply to PA school down the road, or to pick up hours here and there in lower paying, tech-type jobs while I continue in my current career (and ideally apply sooner)? Any input is much appreciated!

Possibly only organic chemistry, but I may end up having to retake others depending on when I apply since a couple of my courses are 5 years old now. GPA is probably around a 3.4-3.5 but I haven't calculated exactly. HCE hours are around 1500 but like I said, all of it is in LTC/SNF so the depth of the experience is....limited.

Depending on where you live, the RT job market can be fairly over-saturated as well. It's great experience for PA school, but you honestly already have more than the average applicant with your CNA certification. As long as your science/overall/prereq GPAs are > 3.2, I'd say keep working as a CNA as you are and apply to PA school.

To be honest.. I think if I were in your shoes I'd apply this up coming cycle. You look like a solid applicant and it seems like going RT or perfusionist is kind of a big round about to get to the same end goal. I mean I get the idea of trying to lower dept and cost of living / tuition of PA school... But it just seems like extra unneeded work.

Thank you for your responses! I agree that it does seem like a roundabout way of getting to the same place, although I am definitely worried that there is nothing that really stands out in my application. Unfortunately I also fell behind on my (ridiculously high) undergrad loan payments while working as an LNA and I'm still working on getting caught back up so I'm probably a year or two out from applying regardless, since I would need to take out more loans for PA school.

A perfusionist typically makes well into 6 figures. It just seems odd to pursue that course as just a means to hce for PA school. I haven't looked closely at perfusion programs but I imagine for that kind of salary there would be absolutely no advantage to doing that schooling so you can then go to PA school.

A perfusionist typically makes well into 6 figures. It just seems odd to pursue that course as just a means to hce for PA school. I haven't looked closely at perfusion programs but I imagine for that kind of salary there would be absolutely no advantage to doing that schooling so you can then go to PA school.

PAs can also make 6 figures. Maybe the OP really wants to practice medicine.

Having your EMT-B will allow you to get jobs in EMS (although not immediately probably), ER-Tech type stuff, and/or medical transport stuff. I live around a big urban area, Philly, and there's always a demand for really all three categories here. If you have your EMT-B hospitals will absolutely let you volunteer. I mean, they let people with zero medical training/background volunteer.

Also, I believe EMT's make ~33% more $/hour than CNA's. I have zero support for this claim but it is my understanding that CNA's earn ~9-10$/hr while EMT's (transport/ER-Tech) will often start at 11.50-12.50$/hr.

***These figures are by no means accurate as I have zero statistical support for them***

A lot of hospitals get really creative with naming their techs in the ER. The best way is to read the descriptions online and view the requirements. CNA experience is generally limited to working in a nursing home, simple ADLs and wiping butt, let's be honest about that. Performing skills in the ER is such a giant leap forward and will give you more bang for your buck in the long run.

Anyone can volunteer in an ER. Just because you have a certain skill set doesn't mean you'll walk in the door and some nurse is going to tell you to do an IV. Volunteers handle linen, show people where the bathroom is and lift boxes. You may also want to inquire about a scribe position as a means to get your foot in the door.

Actually, I would finish Orgo and apply to programs that do not have the 5 year time limit; there are many. 3.4-3.5'ish GPA isn't bad and if you can continue to get HCE, especially if you can get a higher level, you can have almost 2000 hrs prior to admission. Not a bad resume.

2 cents,

Good luck

As far as the loans for PA school. If you catch up on the undergrad loans, make sure you have nothing 90 days past due or in collections (although if you have either of these problems it can be solved with a co-signer who does not have these problems)---you should be fine for grad school borrowing. Now if it will take you 1+ years to catch up on the undergrad loans and/or clean up your credit to those standards, then just keep doing what you are doing--work your job and get hce when and where you can (the fact that youre even trying, puts you miles beyond others)

Also keep this in mind as you take or re-take any courses, as long as youre in school half time (typically 6 hrs) your loan payments should be deferred, you just have to contact the lender and let them know youre in school and provide them with an enrollment certification. That should keep you from having to make payments while paying for classes....

Thanks for the responses everyone, very helpful. I'm actually really surprised that several people thought I should just apply with my current experience. As Josheppe described, I think the most interesting skill I ever performed in a SNF/LTC was helping with a dressing change. I should be caught up with undergrad loans in the next month or so but unsure of how long it will take to clean up my credit from it so I will probably wait a cycle or two to apply regardless. In the meantime, I will definitely look into getting my EMT-B certification.

Archived