hi all,

I was considering getting certified in botox and possibly some other cosmetic procedures to switch things up and make a little extra money. I have an SP who wants to join me. Does anyone know laws pertaining to PA's doing this? I'm wondering if she would need to be present while I'm doing the procedures, or if it's like I normally practice, individually with a cosigner on at least 25% of my charts. Lemme know if anyone out there has any experience with this. Thanks

I do Botox all the time (for migraine headaches) and my SP has never seen a single patient in my office. Of course, you should have good training in the procedure. I've only done cosmetic Botox once. We, PAs, can now order Botox. This was after my 6 month battle with Allergen that took me all the way to a meeting with the CEO and several meetings with their lawyers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Wow, jmj11 where do you inject the botox for migraines? I am pre-PA (accepted, yay!) and only have experience in emergency medicine, so although I help a kazillion patients who come to the ED for migraines, I haven't had any exposure to long term migraine management. I'm intrigued!

And to jdumoch (again just curious) do you work in a primary care office, or in dermatology, or something else?

Just a PA-S with no neuro in school yet but I'd guess that the botox is to stop basilar artery spasm migraines? If the artery doesn't spasm, no migraine (theoretically). Heading off to Google it...

Sorry, basilar artery spasm has nothing to do with migraine, not even so called "basilar migraine." The current theory is that Botox blocks the release of substance P from the nerve endings both in the scalp and even possibly in the dura through tiny (until recently unknown) nerve fibers the run from scalp muscles through the skull suture lines. But no one knows for sure.

Sorry, basilar artery spasm has nothing to do with migraine, not even so called "basilar migraine." The current theory is that Botox blocks the release of substance P from the nerve endings both in the scalp and even possibly in the dura through tiny (until recently unknown) nerve fibers the run from scalp muscles through the skull suture lines. But no one knows for sure.

No need to say sorry! I was just repeating a tidbit the professor mentioned in patho and extrapolating on it. Thanks for the explanation and info!

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OP: it depends on your state legislature.

I am taking the class in the next few weeks and will have a plastic surgeon as my SP on my license, but he won't be physically present at the medspa or Botox parties where I will provide services.

Before I am out on my own, I am required to complete a certain number of injections as part of my competency. And the SMD will come to the medspa (actually just a room in a beauty salon) and inspect the setup and facilities.

And for the record, I am in EM/UC too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 10/23/2017 at 5:06 PM, jmj11 said:

We now order it through the patient's insurance pharmacy plan ( so we don't loosing money if we are not reimbursed for it ). I use to order it directly. I had to create an account and then I just ordered it from Allergan on a routine basis and it was shipped to me.

Are PAs able to have their own Allergan account to place orders or do they require you to name your CP to order shipments?