Spanish? Fastest/efficient way to learn?

I'm interested in taking Spanish.

1) I could either take Spanish through credit courses at my university, but it is also more expensive. I just graduated so I'm assuming I would have to re-apply, I don't think I'd make it in time for the Spring semester.. I also don't know how many courses I would have to take if I just wanted to speak to patients.

2) "Continuing Education" (non-credit) courses are cheaper, they also have "Medical Spanish". Has anyone took something similar in continuing education (non-credit) courses?

Or how did you learn Spanish? I guess there is rosetta stone too lol

Community colleges are cheaper and with many you can register as non-degree seeking....typically with that all you do is fill out an app to the school and youre in. If its at a school you already attended you shouldnt even have to do that. Many offer online classes. Rio Salado has tons of online classes, they are pretty easy to sign up with, they are accredited, you can start when you choose, you can choose between a full length course or condensed, can be kinda pricey but super cheap if youre from AZ.

Im not sure about continuing ed or courses like them. I dont think they are indepth as a credit course but i could be wrong.

I agree with rosetta stone. It isn't cheap but I find it to be much more effective than a college spanish class. I have never understood why language classes focus on grammar before developing a decent vocabulary. RS teaches the way you naturally learn a language. The only way that would be better would be spending a lot of time around spanish speakers.

Get a job serving a heavily based Latin community. My Spanish, specifically medical Spanish has grown exponentially working in an ER in a heavily saturated Hispanic community. I also got a medical Spanish book from Barnes and Noble which has helped greatly. I know there are also medical Spanish courses or Spanish for healthcare providers at colleges. I think doing all three would do the trick. It's one thing to learn a language but if you don't use it you lose it. Such is the case with me and speaking the other 3 languages I was taught growing up.

Archived