Nova Jax OR South Alabama

Ive turned down interviews at a few schools for personal reasons but Ive narrowed it down to a few schools.

Which would you choose between Nova Jax , South Al, or Barry University? Already was accepted at Nova and have interviews at the other places that Im debating declining. I believe I would have several distractions socially at South because of friends that are there. Not sure how Barry or South Al stacks up to Nova. My gut is telling me Nova, and Id like to practice in FL one day..Also does Nova really have a bad reputation like Ive read? I liked the campus when I visited and plan to attend. All thoughts welcome. on my phone.. sorry for any errors

Interesting, I have never read any about a bad rep at NOVA Jax. Can you give a link? The program had a problem with it's first class PANCE rate (71%), but that seems to have worked itself out...last class was 100%. I chalked it up to growing pains. I asked about the fate of the folks who didn't pass the PANCE in the first class during my interview and they said they helped the students (not sure how) and all passed second try.

USA is a pretty established program that might have a little bit more clout behind it's name. It's a tough choice. It may simply come down to where you want to be.

Interesting, I have never read any about a bad rep at NOVA Jax. Can you give a link? The program had a problem with it's first class PANCE rate (71%), but that seems to have worked itself out...last class was 100%. I chalked it up to growing pains. I asked about the fate of the folks who didn't pass the PANCE in the first class during my interview and they said they helped the students (not sure how) and all passed second try.

USA is a pretty established program that might have a little bit more clout behind it's name. It's a tough choice. It may simply come down to where you want to be.

Will352ns I saw conflicting views on the site, and most of it I believe was about all Nova campuses and programs in general. You'd have to skim to see the PA stuff - But anyway based on the nature of the replies alone, it seems some people are bitter so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Here is the link http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/NSU_g.html

Interesting read. I asked the ADCOMs about attrition rates and they stated that they only had a few folks not complete the first two graduating classes. Of them, a couple went ino the next class and the other decided to go to a non-medical MS program. Hard to think they would post that one reply. Overall, like you, I will take it with a grain of salt. The crux of the complaints on that site seem to be from the business and IT folks and don't involve the Jax campus.

The students that I spoke to during the interview painted a very different picture....even the ones not doing the tour of the facility.

That said, it could be a factor if you get accepted to USA. If there is a seed of doubt about NOVA that you can't shake, maybe USA is the way to go.

Good luck, having to choose between two schools is a good situation to be in.

Interesting read. I asked the ADCOMs about attrition rates and they stated that they only had a few folks not complete the first two graduating classes. Of them, a couple went ino the next class and the other decided to go to a non-medical MS program. Hard to think they would post that one reply. Overall, like you, I will take it with a grain of salt. The crux of the complaints on that site seem to be from the business and IT folks and don't involve the Jax campus.

The students that I spoke to during the interview painted a very different picture....even the ones not doing the tour of the facility.

That said, it could be a factor if you get accepted to USA. If there is a seed of doubt about NOVA that you can't shake, maybe USA is the way to go.

Good luck, having to choose between two schools is a good situation to be in.

I would not say it's doubt. I am just a perfectionist and overanalyzer about certain things. I never imagined I'd have so many options (5 interview offers so far) so I kind of feel it would be silly to not weigh my options mentally...even if I'm not going to interview. Even if I happened to get more interviews, I wouldn't consider any other schools than the offers I already have.

I notice no one mentioned Barry..even though I forgot to put it in the title of my post. Lol would you say Barry would be a 3rd choice compared to these schools? I'm not really considering because the PANCE scores seem low in comparison to the national average. Just wanted thoughts, as the thoughts on this site are very informative.

I know I'm choosing Nova- but I just wanted feedback/confirmation -Hope I'm making sense!

Barry was one of the schools I applied to as well. I only choose it because it is in Florida. They kind of gave me bad vibes. I called and asked them a couple of questions and the folks on the phone weren't very helpful. I emailed them about the same issue and never got a reply...after they told me on the phone that email would be better. I've had 5 interview invites and 1 acceptance so far (NOVA Jax)....if Barry invited me, I wouldn't consider it. I have some standards...haha. That said, it may be an isolated incident.

Last point, there is the issue that Jax is still a new program. This can be a problem during rotations. I thought about this in great length before I forked over the cash to hold my seat. The location was a big factor in that decision...it's better for my family. USA is well established and shouldn't have those problems. If you have nothing holding you to the area (JAX), then USA might still be the better offer if accepted.

Barry was one of the schools I applied to as well. I only choose it because it is in Florida. They kind of gave me bad vibes. I called and asked them a couple of questions and the folks on the phone weren't very helpful. I emailed them about the same issue and never got a reply...after they told me on the phone that email would be better. I've had 5 interview invites and 1 acceptance so far (NOVA Jax)....if Barry invited me, I wouldn't consider it. I have some standards...haha. That said, it may be an isolated incident.

Last point, there is the issue that Jax is still a new program. This can be a problem during rotations. I thought about this in great length before I forked over the cash to hold my seat. The location was a big factor in that decision...it's better for my family. USA is well established and shouldn't have those problems. If you have nothing holding you to the area (JAX), then USA might still be the better offer if accepted.

very helpful..thanks so much!

To the OP, I'm sure where ever where you go there's always going to be someone with something negative to say. I think I remember you from my thread about being accepted to the Jax campus. As far as Barry goes, one of the PAs that wrote me a LoR said he absolutely hated going to Barry (he graduated from there about 3 years ago). He cited various reasons, but pretty much told me not to go there if I could. I felt very good about attending the interview at Jax and the students that gave the tour seemed to say good things as well. No matter how you look at it, school choice is going to be a crapshoot so it's best not to beat yourself up about it too much.

To the OP, I'm sure where ever where you go there's always going to be someone with something negative to say. I think I remember you from my thread about being accepted to the Jax campus. As far as Barry goes, one of the PAs that wrote me a LoR said he absolutely hated going to Barry (he graduated from there about 3 years ago). He cited various reasons, but pretty much told me not to go there if I could. I felt very good about attending the interview at Jax and the students that gave the tour seemed to say good things as well. No matter how you look at it, school choice is going to be a crapshoot so it's best not to beat yourself up about it too much.

I'm going w/ Nova and I'm very excited about that decision. Any news on the FB group?

Do you happen to know when break is over at Nova? I am waiting not-so-patiently for an interview invite .

There are eight interview days loaded on calendar. Four in January and four in February. They tend to do groups of 5-6 students per session and do 2 sessions per day. There are two days in the middle and at the end of each month.

Doing the math, they are still going to interview up to 96 applicants if they fill each session. I received my interview invite 2 weeks prior to the date I choose, which was the earliest available. You' re not out of the running just yet.

Another question I asked prior to the interview was if they field the class quickly; I was a late'ish applicant. They said that they will interview until they get the class they want...not just to fill the seats.

There are eight interview days loaded on calendar. Four in January and four in February. They tend to do groups of 5-6 students per session and do 2 sessions per day. There are two days in the middle and at the end of each month.

Doing the math, they are still going to interview up to 96 applicants if they fill each session. I received my interview invite 2 weeks prior to the date I choose, which was the earliest available. You' re not out of the running just yet.

Another question I asked prior to the interview was if they field the class quickly; I was a late'ish applicant. They said that they will interview until they get the class they want...not just to fill the seats.

What's late'ish? When did you apply?

Archived