Questions for current students ?????

I am so excited to be part of the upcoming MEDEX class of 2015.. I'm hoping a current student can give me a little guidance...

1. I'm in the process of buying a new laptop.. Trying to decide between PC and MAC.. Are there any pro's or cons towards one or the other with regards to the MEDEX material??

2. The textbook for the online A&P class... Is the access code needed?? I have found a few online for less than half the price but it is only the text and cd...

3. Is an iPad helpful??

Thanks....

I switched from PC to Mac after my PC crashed in the middle of a research paper. No problems with school software.

I never used the online access code for A&P but I enjoy studying from a book more than computer.

Some classmates solely used an iPad, others brought their pad to class but computer at home. I just played games on mine. And surfed this site:-). I think the preference is up to your learning style. If I had to use just an iPad,I would get a clam case for the full keyboard.

You def don't need the access code, but I liked having it. There are practice quizzes (and some of the real quizzes pull questions from them) and online activities that help prepare you.

I'd say probably about a quarter of my class has some sort of tablet. Most of us use normal laptops. I use a netbook, which I like. A pro to a tablet would be some of the apps you can use with it. Probably the majority are Apple users; I think several even have the exact same computer. :)

Also, congrats on acceptance. Truly, though, the best advice I'd give someone is to relax and enjoy the time off for now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For the Mac discount do you go to any Apple store or is it through the school IT?

Kate,

you can do it online apple.com/education. you will have to put in the UW information. I think you can also go into an apple store but sometimes with that they want your student id card.

I went "middle of the road" and paid about $120 for my oto-opt, and have not had one issues at all. many students bought the pocket sized kits, and I am not sure the light sources on those were great, but no one had to replace what they purchased. When you do choose one, try and purchase the insufflator bulb at the same time, and be prepared to share it with the rest of you class during exams! Buy it now so you know you have the right one/fit for your oto-opt, and don't have to hope someone else was smart enough to get the bulb and is willing to share!

Any advice on helping spouses be ready for the upcoming craziness?

Hard to say as my husband is a student too, so he pretty much knows the drill. The only real things that have changed in our house is now instead of doing half the work, he does about 90% of it. For example, I make our weekly menus and we shop together, but he generally cooks and cleans up. He also does the majority of the laundry, but that was more a carryover from when I was in the military and he wasn't. (Now he is, but we never switched.) Before we moved out here, I made it very clear the next 2 years were probably gonna suck a bit. Hasn't been too bad, but we've also relaxed our standards a tad.

They have an spouse orientation meeting that students aren't allowed to attend sometime in the fall. I haven't heard anyone complain about the spouses having a hard time, though, so it seems that everyone is making it work.

Be flexible and communicate.

I went "middle of the road" and paid about $120 for my oto-opt, and have not had one issues at all. many students bought the pocket sized kits, and I am not sure the light sources on those were great, but no one had to replace what they purchased. When you do choose one, try and purchase the insufflator bulb at the same time, and be prepared to share it with the rest of you class during exams! Buy it now so you know you have the right one/fit for your oto-opt, and don't have to hope someone else was smart enough to get the bulb and is willing to share!

What brand and where did you get it from?

For all of the current students, I noticed in the list of books needed, for the upcoming quarter that there was a recommended text book called Acland's DVD Atlas of Human Anatomy, Set of Six DVDs. for $175.00. ASIN: 0781740681 In your experience, did you find that you used this last year? Is it the same set for 2012? Thanks :).

For all of the current students, I noticed in the list of books needed, for the upcoming quarter that there was a recommended text book called Acland's DVD Atlas of Human Anatomy, Set of Six DVDs. for $175.00. ASIN: 0781740681 In your experience, did you find that you used this last year? Is it the same set for 2012? Thanks :).

If its 'recommended' I wouldn't worry about it...Never heard of nor used Acland's if that helps you. Save your money for supplies, Bates, Tintinalli's, CMDT, etc come fall quarter. You get online access to UW's library as a student which is pretty nice. You'll get a whole class on that come summer. Some books aren't online, but a few are and it's nice to pop open an online book in class when lecture is...unamusing?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for the current MEDEX student regarding financial advice... CaliOne, I hope you don't mind my using your already existing thread! I have been worrying alot about what kind of funding I am going to have to have on hand during the initial Summer semester. I read in the information from the college recently that we would not be expected to pay any fees until July 12th, but am still curious as to when/if I should be taking out a private loan since I may not hear back from FAFSA until close to that first part of July. I have never taken out a loan for anything before so my ignorance is not doing my anxiety any favors. Any advice is very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

For current students... can we assume that MEDEX follows the normal UW schedule, as far as term start/end dates, finals, holidays, and weeks off?

Also, how many physical books have you ended up buying and carrying around, vs. e-textbooks? Any recommendations on which books to NOT buy?

Thanks!!

Archived