Got A Scribe Position

Is being a scribe going to count as HCE? And if not, would it still be considered a plus on the application? I am also going to volunteer as an EMT whenever I can, but I really needed a job coming out of college so I'm hoping that this scribe position is looked at as a good thing.

Hey MnM,

It definitely depends on what school. You can always call your top choices and find out their opinion(s). From talking with other students, it seems like those that did some medical scribing have had an easier time in portions of the didactic year than those that have not. I definitely understand needing a job once out of college, but most scribe positions don't offer much more than minimum wage so make sure you look at it that way too!

Good luck!

Hi MnM,

Im right out of college as of May 2012 and became an ER scribe shortly after I graduated. One pro is that it is definitely an excellent learning experience. Its only been a few months and I've not only learned how to complete a provider's charts, but I've also learned how to come up with differentials, conduct physical exams, know what labs/tests need to be ordered, read some xrays/cts, etc. The providers we work with (PAs, MDs, DOs, and NPs) are amazing and know most of us are pre-PA/pre-Med and are great at teaching us things.

The cons are although in my area we get paid more than other scribes, its still very low wage compared to everyone else I know that graduated with me. As far as schools recognizing it, there are a I will apply to that consider it to meet the HCE requirement and they in fact find it one of the best types of hours. I do have 1000+ of other hands-on direct patient care hours, but this gig has def taught me the most. Hope this helps!

Well I do also have an EMT certification so I can use that in combination, but I only have 120 hrs of hands-on patient care. I guess I'll have to call the programs and see if some accept scribing as HCE. I made the decision to become a PA a little late (after taking my MCAT and getting ready to apply to med schools...better late than never though) so I still need to take anatomy and physiology and microbiology. I was hoping to work as a scribe and take those classes but if I'll be volunteering as an EMT AND working in the ER, I don't know if I'll be able to get the classes in for this current cycle. The original plan was to finish off those classes at a CC over the summer, in-time for apps. I'm low on the GPA side so I was hoping that full-time work as a scribe would come shoot up my HCE and help me in my application.

I got two interviews being a scribe...Drexel and EVMS...I didn't get more interviews because I applied LATE (Mid-Sept!) I know several other scribes who got into other programs. YES it counts as experience... maybe not in top 2 schools, and a few others... Sooo....relax :)

Also...if you start off a a scribe in ER, you MAY be able to progress to being an ER-Tech since you already have your certification :).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived