Controlled substance CME

Hi- due to some unfortunate circumstances I need to take a remedial course on proper prescribing of controlled substances. Does anyone know of a course in the near future preferably in the north east or at least along the east coast? any recommendations would be appreciated.

it is required of docs to have this in mass - I am going to go see if I can find the links - two one hour course I think all online... meaning to do them myself just to have it....

Yeah in Mass an MD has to take extra courses just to write for oxycontin but the rule applies only to MDs and not to PAs or NPs

I heard that Washington state is considering a similar law that applies only to MDs -- PAs and NPs can write for narcs without any extra training.

that MUSC one looks perfect, thanks

If you do go the MUSC route.. You will have a choice of taking the course (watching the video lectures online and taking the tests) online, OR watching the video centuries on a DVD and taking e test on line. My advice is get the DVD. Thatway You will always have the lectures at hand ( and there are a couple EXCELLANT lectures in he course). If you go the computer route, once you have taken the test, you cannot sign onto the site again, and cannot access the lectures again.

it is required of docs to have this in mass - I am going to go see if I can find the links - two one hour course I think all online... meaning to do them myself just to have it....

[h=3]New Licensing Requirements Effective Feb. 1, 2012[/h][h=3]Effective Pain Management[/h]Effective Feb. 1, 2012, physicians applying to renew their license or obtain a new license must complete at least three (3) credits of education and training in pain management and opioid education. This requirement applies to all physicians who prescribe controlled substances (Schedules I through VI). According to state regulations, such education includes training in effective pain management, identification of patients at high risk for substance abuse, counseling patients about side effects, and the addictive nature and proper storage and disposal of prescription drugs. These hours will qualify as either category 1 or category 2, and may be counted as risk management credits.

Recommended CME Activities

unsure if totally free - but this is what MASS doc's have to do

Archived