failed PANRE...really? My 4th PANRE. Whats up?

Today I was informed I failed the PANRE by 15 points. I just read a thread on this forum from last year that many PAs in my situation were told they failed, only to be told later that they passed. Some of them were told they initially failed by larger margins than I did. Is this still happening? Should I wait a couple of weeks to see if they re-score and tell me I passed? Also, it seemed to me that this PANRE was harder than in the past, and full of questions that seemed, well, over the top. I am a 25+ year PA in primary care. I have always passed easily before. Here is that other thread: http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php/32979-PANRE-How-many-people-failed-then-passed?highlight=failed+panre

I haven't heard of any of my colleagues being told they failed only to find out they passed, but I have heard that the PANRE has been progressively more difficult over the past 2 years or so. I'm not sure if this is due to the new re-certification process that is upcoming or just reflects higher standards we are all being held to. Don't let it get you down. It sounds like you are a very experienced PA and perhaps you just got hit with a batch of questions you weren't familiar with. We all know that testing isn't directly indicative of your knowledge base. Just study some more, take it again, and pass with flying colors.

It was a scoring issue that the NCCPA has fixed already. When the test went from 300 questions to 240, they didn't tell the scoring organization so a bunch of people "failed". When the NCCPA had compiled a statistically significant number of 'failees' they realized it was a real problem and alerted the ones who had really passed.

I am so sorry you got bad news this morning. Did you do anything different this time around? A review course? Different books? Question banks? I took the Adult Medicine exam a couple weeks ago and found the questions were pretty straight forward but there were a bunch of things in there that weren't on the Blueprint. I'm assuming those were the ones thrown out but who knows. If you took Primary Care, maybe take Adult Medicine next time, or vice versa.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the PANRE Nov 16 and failed. by 18 pts. I am devastated, not only bc I usually test well, but bc my employer put out ~$1800 for me to go to houston to do board review (CME review; thought I was going to have a mental breakdown there!), covered my hotel costs, etc. I took the PANRE 4 days later; maybe too soon, given the beating I took in houston, but the practice exam I took afterwards to prepare for a re-take came out just as bad.

I don't even want to tell my employers I failed, and since I didn't have 90 days (from Nov 16) to re-take the PANRE before my certification expires dec 31, I was told by NCCPA that I can take the PANCE to re-certify before the end of the year. so that is what I'm preparing for now. I paid for hippo PA as a review resource, and I am loving it, but I am also really scared! what happens if I don't pass the PANCE and my certification expires dec 31? what happens to my license, my employment? I've really had my confidence shaken by this, and don't want to psyche myself out for the re-take.

any knowledgeable comments re what happens to my ability to work should the worst-case-scenario happen are welcome... :(

Kittryn: this disturbs me quite a bit. I thought you were a hospitalist (did I remember that wrong?) have you asked for a re-scoring just to be sure?

I took PANRE #2 in Sept and thought it was more challenging than previously. I did very well but keep in mind I had a year of med school and taking tests weekly so was less intimidated.

I wish you the very best.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I took the PANRE Nov 16 and failed. by 18 pts. I am devastated, not only bc I usually test well, but bc my employer put out ~$1800 for me to go to houston to do board review (CME review; thought I was going to have a mental breakdown there!), covered my hotel costs, etc. I took the PANRE 4 days later; maybe too soon, given the beating I took in houston, but the practice exam I took afterwards to prepare for a re-take came out just as bad.

I don't even want to tell my employers I failed, and since I didn't have 90 days (from Nov 16) to re-take the PANRE before my certification expires dec 31, I was told by NCCPA that I can take the PANCE to re-certify before the end of the year. so that is what I'm preparing for now. I paid for hippo PA as a review resource, and I am loving it, but I am also really scared! what happens if I don't pass the PANCE and my certification expires dec 31? what happens to my license, my employment? I've really had my confidence shaken by this, and don't want to psyche myself out for the re-take.

any knowledgeable comments re what happens to my ability to work should the worst-case-scenario happen are welcome... :(

So, what happened with PANCE, your employer, and ability to practice?

Archived