Confused about a B.S. in Physician Assistant

I was looking at St. John's PA program and according to their site (http://www.stjohns.edu/academics/undergraduate/pharmacy/programs/pa/admission.stj), it is a 4-year program where the students obtain a certificate which enables them to take the PANCE.

How is this different from the usual 4-year B.S. degree, then clinical experience, and then applying to a PA program?

Thanks in advance!

if you don't have a bs you do 4 yrs for a bs and a cert. this includes all the traditional bs level fluff(gened credits, etc)

if you already have a bs, you do the 2 yr program for a cert.

the last 2 yrs of the 4 yr program is likely the same as the 2 yr program.

both allow you to take pance

When I finish my program at UW, I'll have a BS in Clinical Health Sciences and be eligible to sit for the PANCE. The advantage of this 2 years less tuition payment and generating an income 2 years sooner. If I so desire, I can always go back and get a Masters via Distance Learning, continuing to work while I do that course work so I won't be losing income. I don't know the particulars of the program you're looking at, but most of the non Master programs like to see a fairly substantial history of direct patient care. My program requires 4000 hours, but the class average is up around 12,000

Archived