I don't know what the rules are everywhere, but I work in the ER at a large teaching hospital and we're able to post reads on x-rays. This is especially important overnight because Nighthawk will only read CT and MRI so it's up to us (attendings, PA, NP, etc) to post reads. It usually can wait til morning, and they'll ALWAYS be over-read by a radiologist, but it's still a good habit to get into.

As far as PA who work specifically in radiology, I don't know what the regulations are. I would assume a Radiologist has to post a final read.

I am a PA specializing in radiology and mainly perform procedures which are then dictated by radiologists. I feel the liability in the final interpretation of x rays is out of the scope of practice for us. It is not unlike the final decision made for a patient, whether it be inpatient, outpatient, etc. Everything we do is finalized by a physician which signs off for us regardless of our specialty. Radiology residency is one of the longest, most enduring and when completed they have read thousands upon thousands of films. It is only through this relentless study year after year that one can acquire a certain expertise to maintain an expert eye to interpret films.

I'm jumping in from another post, but I'm curious what PAs in radiology think about the efforts of the SRPE to expand the scope of practice of radiology assistants: this bill: https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/.../report#nation (mission of SRPE: “The Society of Radiology Physician Extenders (SRPE) is a non-profit organization for the RPA and RRA sharing a common bond within the global mid-level radiology profession and medical community in general. The society holds an annual conference conducting seminars and presentations. The SRPE is an active participant with other health care professionals and organizations to educate and promote the role of the mid-level radiology extender. Our organization is committed to fostering the highest values and promoting superior lifelong success both personally and professionally.”)

IS this stepping on the toes of PAs in the field?

The training of a radiologist and the training of a physician assistant are both very diverse and encompass a large part of medicine in general (ie medical school/pa school covering all fields such as ER, OB, Family Practice, Inpt/Oupt, Peds, etc) in order to perform their respective job responsibilities. X ray technologists are a very important part of the process of obtaining quality films and preparation of procedures for the radiologists or the PA specializing in radiology. From what I understand the profession of a 'radiology extender', RA, RPA are educated specifically in radiology and don't possess the necessary broad based knowledge of basic medicine in order to practice at a higher level. A radiologist is a 'doctor' that becomes specialized in radiology, a PA is a mid level practitioner that specializes in radiology, a RA or RPA, from what I've read, are x ray technologists who take extra radiology classes specific to radiology limiting the education to one focus without much diversity. Just my opinion, and I am an x ray technologist that went back to PA school because I did not want to be limited when I graduated.

I believe PA's can make final reads on plain films but I don't think that would be a very good idea unless they have completed at least 4-5 years of expereince and training in radiology. It also depends on the state but as you know a physician delegates out to the PA what he believes to be within their skill set and comfort zone. Also, PA's diagnose and in this case suggest a treatment or further studies to be performed. That is all within an impression on the final read so it seems fitting. So with that definition (as far as delegation), yea they could but I don't think that is happening anywhere in the US for obvious reasons, unless someone says otherwise. PA's are currently providing preliminary reads that are overread by the radiologist. This provides a report that healthcare workers can see (prior to being overread), lightens the load of the radiologist because it speeds up their read times and decreases turn around times, not to mention the phone calls and complaints radiologist get wanting results.

Archived