PhD requirement?

Hi everyone, I know that in 2015 they are starting a transition for NP's to have a PhD. A friend of mine told me that this will also apply to PAs who want to work in a specialty. I haven't been able to find any sort of documentation to back this up, and my friend doesn't always have the most accurate information. Does anyone here know about this or have any info on it?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi everyone, I know that in 2015 they are starting a transition for NP's to have a PhD. A friend of mine told me that this will also apply to PAs who want to work in a specialty. I haven't been able to find any sort of documentation to back this up, and my friend doesn't always have the most accurate information. Does anyone here know about this or have any info on it?

Thanks,

Steve

There are several DNP clinical doctorate programs, but there's no "transitioning" happening within the NP practice. The ANA had hoped to have all NP's carry DNP credentials by 2014 starting classes, but there must've been some issues because the Master's level program at a local university has made a reappearance. Some of the previous Masters NP programs have "transitioned" into DNP programs, however.

As far as I know, there is one clinical doctorate program for PA's in conjunction with Baylor University and the US Army that is a post-graduate fellowship in Emergency Medicine to experienced PA's after completion of a residency. There are no entry level doctorate programs for PA's.

baylor has the doctoral residency as above and wake forest has a pa,phd program for those who also want to do basic science research.

no states require a pa (or np) to have a doctorate. several np programs are transitioning to a dnp(doctorate of nursing practice) but this will not grant any additional rights beyond what an ms level np or any pa already has. it is a political move and one designed to generate more tuition for schools.

Archived