Student with a master's degree in biomedical science seeking advice

Hi guys,

Hoping I could seek some advice. I am currently in a Master's of Biomedical Sciences. I am pre-dental and currently do have interviews, but a big part of me is still holding onto the idea of applying to PA school instead because I think I would be happier, and it is something I have always considered. My program focuses on the medicine and general health of people rather than dentistry. Recently, I decided dentistry just may not be for me.

I am hoping to finish my Master's with a GPA of 3.4, my undergrad GPA is around 3.25. I do have a C in a general biology course, but I'm hoping that my biomedical science degree could override that. Does anyone know how they look upon students who are applying with a Masters. I have a ton of hours in dental clinics which do include taking patients blood pressure, finding out their history and assisting. I also do have some time to accumulate more hours throughout the next year.

I am new to this and just hoping to receive any advice I can get before changing my mind completley about dentistry. Thank you in advanced!

I think your GPA is on par as long as the rest of your application is strong. Your C in general biology shouldn't be an issue given your competitive Masters GPA and your graduate academia background proves to an admissions committee that you can handle graduate level science courses. In my opinion, if you spend the next year getting your hands dirty with some high quality healthcare experience (direct patient contact is key), you should have no problem landing some interviews during next years application cycle.

Thank you, I'm definitely looking into ways to earn patient contact hours. Do you have any specific suggestions on how to earn those hours or would the best idea to work under a PA and doctors? I do not have the time to become an EMT, as I am reading most pre-PA applicants are. Thank you for the positive feedback.

I am pretty much in the same boat as the original poster. I have a masters, clinical research experience with multiple publications, and over 2000 hours of hce as an emergency medical scribe, but it seems like hands on experience is what matters most. I too would like to know ideas of where you could get hands on hce without having to do classes/certifications like EMTs, CNAs, etc. have to do. Is it even possible? I am older than perhaps you average applicant, work full time, and I'm already taking prereq courses I am missing in the evenings and on weekends. I have managed to shadow a PA that works in the same hospital as me, but again it's only shadowing. I'd truly appreciate if you have any suggestion or advice. Thanks!

Archived