Quick GRE Question

I just got done with my GRE and scored 157 V (73%) and 153 Q (56%). (total of 1240 as of the old scoring)

I am not asking if these are bad scores, but I ran out of time on the quantitative section and missed answering 3 questions.

If you were me, would you retake the GRE to see if the quant score could be bumped up?

Thanks

It depends.

What do the rest of your stats look like? If they are above average, I would say don't bother...but if they are average or below, it probably wouldn't hurt.

Also, what kind of schools are you applying to? Do they just want to see that you took the GRE and met a minimum score/percentile or do they take your actual score into consideration? If it is the later, you might want to retake, but most schools (at least the ones I applied to) were in the former category.

If you decide to retake the GRE, make sure you are prepared so you don't make the same mistake twice. Do lots of practice exams and time yourself so you can get through all the sections without feeling rushed.

It depends.

What do the rest of your stats look like? If they are above average, I would say don't bother...but if they are average or below, it probably wouldn't hurt.

Also, what kind of schools are you applying to? Do they just want to see that you took the GRE and met a minimum score/percentile or do they take your actual score into consideration? If it is the later, you might want to retake, but most schools (at least the ones I applied to) were in the former category.

If you decide to retake the GRE, make sure you are prepared so you don't make the same mistake twice. Do lots of practice exams and time yourself so you can get through all the sections without feeling rushed.

Currently my stats are average (GPA-3.47), but I have a lot of pre-reqs to complete yet. I'm also working 30 hrs a week in a hospital and I'm not going to be applying until at least next year at the earliest.

I think you are right in that it wouldn't hurt to retake it. I definitely didn't study for the quantitative part and it showed!

Thanks for replying.

I'd say don't bother retaking and focus on your pre-reqs and HCE. My scores were similar and I've gotten 5 interview invites, attended 3, and have been accepted at two schools so far. They didn't talk about the GRE at any of my interviews, but they did ask about undergrad grades, healthcare experience, and my understanding of the profession. I'd concentrate on the other aspects of your application instead.

I'd say don't bother retaking and focus on your pre-reqs and HCE. My scores were similar and I've gotten 5 interview invites, attended 3, and have been accepted at two schools so far. They didn't talk about the GRE at any of my interviews, but they did ask about undergrad grades, healthcare experience, and my understanding of the profession. I'd concentrate on the other aspects of your application instead.

Congrats! and thanks for the info!

I agree! I did worse than that, but I haven't been asked about the GRE either. In fact, health care experience seems to be one of the best things you can do to boost your chances! Aside from that volunteering in your community (even if it's not healthcare related) and taking part in school activities is a big plus! Let the good things weigh out the bad and make those things shine. When someone asks about what I've done to prepare, I don't talk about my grades or my GRE score, I talk about experiences. While I did graduate with a 3.7 I feel like a lot of schools are interested in knowing that you are more than a score. They want to know what you've done outside of earning grades and taking tests. What makes you unique?

Archived