I have a TON of questions regarding HCE Pre-PA.

My background:

I am [21 years old], still an undergrad majoring in Biology. Projected graduation summer 2014. GPA and pre-reqs are all in good standing. No hands on volunteering/HCE or shadowing. The schools I am planning on applying to are BCM and UTMB-Galveston.

Needing help on:

I need advice as to which is the best way to go about getting the experience. I know I need it, and I would LOVE to get it. I just don't know the best way to do it.

I live in Tomball, TX and cannot find a PA who will let me shadow them. I have found NP'S but I highly doubt that would work. Does anyone have any shadowing resources or hands-on volunteering opportunities in the N.W. HOUSTON/THE WOODLANDS area?

Should I seek out a CNA/MA/Phlebotomy certification and work as one of those for a year or two? IF so, which one is better? [by better I mean the one that best transitions into becoming a PA/has quite a lot of opportunity] Time is an issue. I don't want to put my bachelor's degree on hold to go through a two year program to get certified.

Any advice or shared personal experiences are appreciated. I am at square one and would really like HELP. Thank you!

You are right in that shadowing a NP is not nearly as good as shadowing a PA. You really need to go out on a limb and contact people. Call up medical offices and see if they would be willing to have a student shadow. Use your friends and family members and their connections to get you in with a PA. I'm sure someone that you know is in the medical field or knows someone who is who may be able to help. As far as getting medical experience, though not as valuable, volunteer experience in hospitals may be a good way to start since you can do this during your college years and amass some hours. For paid experience I would say that becoming an EMT in your situation is probably the most valuable experience. Given that, it is longer than becoming a CNA, and so either one would do as far as getting more experience with patients.

CNA is a great way to go. Find a 2 or 4 week class that costs around ~$400-500. Work at a hospital for 6 months or longer. Quicker and cheaper than EMT and tons of great patient interaction.

I'm from north TX and it was tough to find shadowing up here but possible. Good for local PA chapters and email them all. You can still get in without shadowing, if the opportunity is absent, it's not your fault. Nothing replaces real pt exp anyways.

I would make a push for SpecialtyCare's clinical technician/autotransfusion. They have an opening in your area. They educate you on much of the inner workings of healthcare and will give you surgical experience that no other position will give you. Unless you want to go back to school and be a surgical scrub, this is your best bet at surgical experience, which is something that many PA schools value. That is what I am doing right now in Minnesota, and I like it. Hours are generally not bad.

SpecialtyCare Autotransfusion is regarded as a stepping stone to medical school and PA school. I would highly recommend it. To top it off, you work alongside PA's every day. You see what they do and you interact with them and it makes things easier down the road (letters of rec, paid HCE, education in anatomy and physio in open heart surgery).

I think that position is a diamond in the rough, and it will set you apart from other applicants in my honest opinion.

KatieG14,

If able, I would advise a position where you work alongside PAs. This will give you good opportunities to learn about PAdom and networking while you gain pt. care experience. Like winterallsummer mentioned, shadowing cannot replace actual pt. care experience

I worked as an ER Tech, and really enjoyed it, as it provided a very diverse pt. care experience. In addition, since the PAs knew me and my work, I didn't have any problems finding someone to job shadow on my off days, and was able to earn recommendations from PAs. ERs typically require that you have (or be working on) your EMT-B, but I've heard some will take you with a CNA and experience.

Good luck!!

Also, the hospital jobs can be difficult to get in some areas. I did the 4 week CNA class and worked part-time in home care for a year while going to school, then took a weekend phlebotomy class which (with my previous experience) got me a MA job at a hospital. You might have to figure out a round-about way to get the "good" experience. If there is a college with a Pre-PA club around you they might have contact info of PAs who are willing to have shadows.

Does your school have a pre-health society/club? Find out, and see if they have some contacts or would be willing to introduce you to someone. Even if it says "pre-med" many aren't just for students heading to medical school anymore.

Or... I gave this advice on a whim once as a last-ditch idea and got some feedback that it had worked, so it might be worth a shot. Make an appointment for a physical with your own PCP, and ask her if 1) she works with PAs at her office or elsewhere or 2) if she knows of a PA who would enjoy having a student shadow for a few days.

Archived