Harrison's - worth the $100 and time to read?

the best way to decide which book to buy is this:

go to a university bookstore. grab every textbook of medicine there(probably 3-4). look up the same topic in each. I looked up hypothyroidism. read the section and see which you understand best. pick the book that seems the most clear. to me this was a no brainer. cecil's was straightforward, talked about the sx, dx, labs, physical findings, and management while harrison's went off on a description of the biochemical basis of hypothyroidism and anything remotely clinical was more of a side note.

as a side note I think you will find folks who truly "like" harrison's are more academic while those who like cecil's are more clinical. scientist vs clinician/provider. I could care less where the genetic marker is for hypothyroidism is, I want to know how to recognize, dx, and tx it.

I haven't graduated yet, but I'm partial to the 5 Minute Consult (on the recommendation of a professor). It gives everything in 1-2 pages from etiology to pathophys to treatment to pt education and follow up. I think I've opened Harrison's twice (once for a project and once for my Master's thesis). Maybe once in practice, I'll find it more useful??

the best way to decide which book to buy is this:

go to a university bookstore. grab every textbook of medicine there(probably 3-4). look up the same topic in each. I looked up hypothyroidism. read the section and see which you understand best. pick the book that seems the most clear. to me this was a no brainer. cecil's was straightforward, talked about the sx, dx, labs, physical findings, and management while harrison's went off on a description of the biochemical basis of hypothyroidism and anything remotely clinical was more of a side note.

as a side note I think you will find folks who truly "like" harrison's are more academic while those who like cecil's are more clinical. scientist vs clinician/provider. I could care less where the genetic marker is for hypothyroidism is, I want to know how to recognize, dx, and tx it.

I just did this exact thing recently...I was mildly appalled at how little information Harrison's had about women's health. I'll be going with Cecil.

I will submit that you need ONE very thorough medicine reference. Harrison's fits this bill. For readability, I like Cecil's Essentials of Medicine...quite a bit cheaper too. CMDT is a good "quick" reference but not nearly complete enough for many complex topics. And PLEASE, DO read...you can only learn so much from PowerPoint lectures in class. :)

I read Harrison's to fully UNDERSTAND illnesses. Then reviewed Cecil's PRN. And, the 5min clin consult is just that: nothing more than a quick review at your fingertips which will not be of much use when diagnosing the atypical presentation cases or multiple symptom/complication patients of the real world in a busy practice.

Agree with posters above. Primarily IM/GP, not the best choice for Women's Care.

Our school's library offered Harrison's online.. which was a huge help when I needed to read for class!! I'm sure you would have heard already if that was the case for your school, but it's worth a shot to check? It was under Databases on the library website, and you just needed to log in with your school ID and password.

Also, another book that I found extremely helpful was just called Primary Care Medicine- (http://www.amazon.com/Primary-Care-Medicine-Evaluation-Management/dp/0781775132/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) ... topics are presented by chief complaint, and a thorough workup and treatment plan/patient ed are summarized within each topic. We were told to purchase this for class. I haven't come across anyone else who uses it but I thought it was great!

I read Harrison's to fully UNDERSTAND illnesses. Then reviewed Cecil's PRN. And, the 5min clin consult is just that: nothing more than a quick review at your fingertips which will not be of much use when diagnosing the atypical presentation cases or multiple symptom/complication patients of the real world in a busy practice.

Agree with posters above. Primarily IM/GP, not the best choice for Women's Care.

I'm SO glad to hear that b/c I've been feeling like it might not have been such a good purchase. Thanks bunches for the insight!

Also, another book that I found extremely helpful was just called Primary Care Medicine- (http://www.amazon.com/Primary-Care-Medicine-Evaluation-Management/dp/0781775132/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) ... topics are presented by chief complaint, and a thorough workup and treatment plan/patient ed are summarized within each topic. We were told to purchase this for class. I haven't come across anyone else who uses it but I thought it was great!

I agree! I have really loved this book.

Archived