18 month vs. 12 month EM Residency

Hey all, I'm hoping someone can settle this debate for me. I'm applying to EM residencies and have seen lots of conversations about 18-month programs being superior to 12-month programs. This makes a lot of sense to me, longer residency obviously means more training, and the extra time often seems to be used for more off-service rotations/electives which are really important to me. However, I have seen a lot of recommendations for some shorter programs, specifically Albany (12 months) and Arrowhead (14 months, I think). Can someone let me know if these two programs are the exception to the rule, or if I should strictly steer clear of any EM programs less than 18 months? Otherwise, I am planning to apply next month to Johns Hopkins, SUNY Upstate, University of Iowa, and UCSF Fresno. I am also considering submitting applications to Yale and the University of New Mexico when their cycles open in the fall. Also, if I'm missing any gems from my list, please let me know so I can check them out! Thank you all!

18 months meets the requirement for the CAQ in EM and is half the length of a physician residency. That being said, any program with good off service rotations and the potential for acquiring a good procedure log is worth considering. 

https://www.nccpa.net/specialty-certificates/#emergency-medicine

I know the directors of the programs at SUNY, Fresno, and Yale and know these are all solid programs. 

If you want to do solo/rural coverage, Iowa is probably your best bet as their stated mission is to train providers for solo positions. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

18 months meets the requirement for the CAQ in EM and is half the length of a physician residency. That being said, any program with good off service rotations and the potential for acquiring a good procedure log is worth considering. 

https://www.nccpa.net/specialty-certificates/#emergency-medicine

I know the directors of the programs at SUNY, Fresno, and Yale and know these are all solid programs. 

If you want to do solo/rural coverage, Iowa is probably your best bet as their stated mission is to train providers for solo positions. 

Thank you for clarifying! 

Agree with emedpa on everything, including iowa recommendation. There are good 12 month programs that train PA residents well, but obviously more off service rotations at a good program is better because you understand better how your colleagues think. For rural practice, this will significantly reduce your number of transfers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mmdrxl said:

Thank you! In your experience, do I have a decent chance if I apply to 5 or 6 programs? 

Yes. I tell students to focus on EM in school, get good grades, and apply to 5 programs.