Inappropriate interview questions

I would like to get some opinions over here. I had an interview with a program today and the first question the interviewer asked me was how old I was, point-blank. The second question that was asked was how many children I have. Does anybody feel that I should be thinking twice about this?

Edited by sayNOtoNP

• Administrator

I've always thought that if you couldn't ask about it in an employment interview, you can't ask about it in a University interview. When I interview applicants for my PA program, there are a series of about 6-8 mandatory questions, and about a dozen more optional ones which can be used, time permitting. All of them are carefully worded, and while they're not all my favorite, every last one of them is "safe" and doesn't touch on any protected class, political/religious views, etc.

On the other hand, as a hiring manager, I did occasionally invite applicants to disclose more than strictly necessary. One applicant obviously was older than the experience listed on his resume, so I pointed that out and asked him if there was anything relevant to the position he wanted to disclose. He mentioned some cool but mostly irrelevant experience which rounded him out better as a candidate. That candor and well-roundedness impressed me, but he didn't end up getting that job when all the interviewers' scores were added up.

The world has changed and not all interviewers have kept up. As an undergrad competing for a scholarship, I was asked my religion. Even asked what each of my parents religions were! I didn't make a fuss and was honest. Still got the scholarship (which wasn't religious and the interviewer wasn't a coreligionist of mine) but I thought it was weird.  

I was 57 when I was interviewed for PA school. No one asked my age but they could see I wasn't 23. I provoked questions about was my family moving to school with me ("no") and if we were going to be living apart, how would we deal with that? I had been married 34 years at the time and said we'd be fine seeing each other on weekends. I noted that it would certainly be easier than if I had been a traveling salesman or had been deployed for the year. I got in and did fine.

I think more of us worry about age discrimination than may actually experience it. It the applicant is significantly older -- or younger -- than the average, it's not surprising that the interviewer would like to know more about him or her. What had I been doing for 57 years with engineering degrees? What was my 30 years in volunteer and part-time paid EMS like? How had I decided to make such a major career shift "late" in life (I'm 20 years older now!)

I guess my point is that, rather than look for a red flag to protest, consider looking for an opening to tell them about yourself in ways that may be memorable enough to get the seat.

Good luck!

Edited by UGoLong
  • Like 1

I was asked about my age (20) and how could I know I wanted to be a PA at such a young age. Can't remember if I was asked about kids or not. I remember being caught off guard by the question but they were right. I did some self reflection and thought about why. I didn't get in so I did even more work to become a PA and rule out other careers.

9 hours ago, UGoLong said:

I guess my point is that, rather than look for a red flag to protest, consider looking for an opening to tell them about yourself in ways that may be memorable enough to get the seat

Great advice!

• Administrator
13 hours ago, UGoLong said:

I think more of us worry about age discrimination than may actually experience it.

Want to see age discrimination? Work in tech. My graying temples were beginning to become a liability, but in medicine patients LOVE to have a middle-aged practitioner: no one has every asked me when the "real" doctor is showing up. I don't perceive that it made a difference in any of my PA school interviews.