Job saturation, opportunities for new grads in Anaheim/LA area or Berkeley/San Fran?

I'm not graduating till 2025 but my husband and I will be relocating based on where he gets into grad school. Our main deciding factor is where I can most likely land a good supportive job as a new grad! I'm in the midwest and it seems to be extremely saturated here so it's a concern of mine. We will have to decide where we are moving before I graduate/apply to jobs so I'm trying to choose wisely. Any advice is extremeley appreciated!

Where in the midwest are you?  While the tidal wave of NP programs are pushing wages down, I am still seeing lots of job opportunities the middle of the midwest.

Probably unnecessary caution on LALB/SF area but....you know the cost of living there is twice what is in the midwest, right?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Where in the midwest are you?  While the tidal wave of NP programs are pushing wages down, I am still seeing lots of job opportunities the middle of the midwest.

Probably unnecessary caution on LALB/SF area but....you know the cost of living there is twice what is in the midwest, right?

2-3x. When I moved out of LA, I was able to afford a mortgage on a 3 bedroom house in a really nice part of town for $150/mo less than the rent on my 1 bedroom apt in the combat zone in LA.  I could have gotten the same apt for 1/3 the price in a much nicer neighborhood. 

This is reasonably comparable to my home in the midwest.  My view isn't quit that beautiful, and I don't have an inground pool (yet), but I have four ponds, and I have more than twice as much land to go with it.  It's $8.5M in LALB area, about 6 times what mine is worth.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/415-Stunt-Rd_Calabasas_CA_91302_M12379-30451?from=srp-map

I don't need a helipad
, but I have plenty of places for a helicopter to land if needed.

Edited by Boatswain2PA
  • Like 1

We have a standard city sized lot in a major city in the pacific NW. House purchased 24 years ago for under 200k, now worth close to a million. Looking at coastal properties to build a tiny house on as a retirement property and a place to stay when I work shifts on the coast. Will likely give our current home to our kid when they are done with grad school. Gen Z can't really afford a house these days, let alone a condo or apt. 

The house that I grew up in down in LA that cost my folks 75K in 1977 now costs 3 million dollars or rents for $8500/mo. 

2 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Gen Z can't afford a house THERE these days.  Two of my kids already own nice homes here.

Fair enough. My kiddo definitely is a coastal (west or east) kid. No way they would ever move to the midwest or the south.