Question for RNs...

Besides having highly preferred HCE, once you were in (if you got in) was it any less difficult than it was for students with less preferred HCE? One of our Critical Care PA's said the nurses in her class were far less overwhelmed than most others. I would assume the same is true for PT, OT, RT, Medics, etc... I would just like to hear from a RN's perspective their experience getting in and going through the program. I guess I'm just looking for a little hope that all my hard work in nursing school and as a nurse will pay off in PA school!

I think a great deal of it depends on the amount and area (ER vs med/surg) of prior experience. There is another RN in my class I notice having a harder time than me, but he's younger and worked in a specialized step down. I also don't know how much my fellow students are "struggling" overall, but I'm certainly having an easier time with assessment and physical exam. I've also noticed a few other areas I'm better at, but I'm not going to sit here and toot my horn about it. Suffice to say I'm staying afloat fairly well.

I can't speak to whether its easier for me than other students because I have no idea how they feel, how much they study or how I compare to them. However, I'm grateful for the nursing background, being able to speak "the language (less to memorize), and the experiences I had going into school.

Archived