Stroke Alert Survey

Hello PA friends! I am working on a quality improvement project regarding stroke alert handover training. For this project, I have created a survey to gauge the current knowledge level amongst APPs and nurses regarding stroke alerts in various specialties and clinical settings. I would greatly appreciate it if you took the time to fill out the survey below. Thank you!

https://bbmc.ouhsc.edu/redcap/surveys/?s=C9NMD9TXHAN3L8FR

Your survey doesn't account for the vast differences in what a "stroke alert" can mean in facilities of different sizes with different capabilities.  For example, I've worked in ED's in tiny hospitals where there was 1 rad tech and 1 lab tech and no stroke telehealth capabilities and also in ED's in trauma centers with much greater in-house capabilities.  Capabilities to transfer to facilities with neuro for post-thrombolytic care capabilities range from fast & easy to day or more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Your survey doesn't account for the vast differences in what a "stroke alert" can mean in facilities of different sizes with different capabilities.  For example, I've worked in ED's in tiny hospitals where there was 1 rad tech and 1 lab tech and no stroke telehealth capabilities and also in ED's in trauma centers with much greater in-house capabilities.  Capabilities to transfer to facilities with neuro for post-thrombolytic care capabilities range from fast & easy to day or more.

agree. we often end up admitting our strokes for rehab at my rural, critical access hospital because no stroke ctr can accept them emergently for transfer. We also don't always have CT in house at night, so they come in from home, adding a delay to our treatment window, 

3 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

agree. we often end up admitting our strokes for rehab at my rural, critical access hospital because no stroke ctr can accept them emergently for transfer. We also don't always have CT in house at night, so they come in from home, adding a delay to our treatment window, 

You don't have CT at night?  Where I am that would require EMS diversion and emergent transfer (ED to ED) to r/o ICH.

2 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

You don't have CT at night?  Where I am that would require EMS diversion and emergent transfer (ED to ED) to r/o ICH.

XR/CT is not in house 7p-7a and are available on 20 min recall from home. If EMS gives us a heads up we are ok, but if we get walk ins, sometimes it is a problem. Nearest stroke/trauma/cath lab center is 1 hr away code 3 if roads are ok or 20 min by air if they will fly(which is maybe 50% of the time). only 3 EMS units in one of the largest counties in the state and they really try not to leave the area unless absolutely necessary. 

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

XR/CT is not in house 7p-7a and are available on 20 min recall from home. If EMS gives us a heads up we are ok, but if we get walk ins, sometimes it is a problem. Nearest stroke/trauma/cath lab center is 1 hr away code 3 if roads are ok or 20 min by air if they will fly(which is maybe 50% of the time). only 3 EMS units in one of the largest counties in the state and they really try not to leave the area unless absolutely necessary. 

Gotchya.  Pretty much same here, but without the mountains!