Thoughts on new grad contract

Hi all - I am currently a PA student getting ready to graduate this coming May. I'm intreated in Pediatrics, Family Medicine, Urgent Care, or EM. I recently interviewed at a private pediatrics office in Upstate, NY. They offered my a job and I wanted to ask if this is a fair contract - or if I should try to negotiate and what parts of the contract I should negotiate on. Do you think this pay is too low? I know Pediatrics isn't a high paying specialty but I really like the group and the work they do. 

- $50/hr, 30 hrs a week (30 hrs. is full time) plus 8 hours a weekend approx 17 times a year (1/3 weekends for the year)  plus a year end bonus/profit share (depends on how well the office did for the year but typically $10-$20k)  = $92,000-$102,000 per year
- 2 of those weekends will be holiday weekends:  1 summer and 1 winter holiday weekend  - work either memorial day, 4th of july, or labor day and then either thanksgiving weekend, xmas weekend or NYE weekend (office is closed on Thanksgiving day and Christmas day so no one works those days).
- 3 weeks vacation (12 days) plus 1 week CME time (4 days) 
- sick time per NYS guidelines (1 hour accrued per 30 hours worked)
- $2000 stipend for CME
- all expenses paid for licensure, medical malpractice, professional group fees etc
- You can contribute to a 401K after 1 year working here (bank's rules), with additional profit sharing from the office for everyone who contributes.
- health insurance plans are available, they contribute $3500 to the plan and the rest is paid by the employee

I'm in EM and have never worked in NY, but here's how this offer appears:

• Base pay is $81,800.  How does that match the cost of living in the area
  • $50/hour is what I started at 10 years ago.
  • What bank rules state that you need to wait 1 year before contributing to a 401K.  My employer permits contributing from day 1.
  • Healthcare contributions are low.

Net: very low paying.  You should get the AAPA salary survey to get a feel for what the median pay in that area is.

I would negotiate a higher hourly rate that is more appropriate for a high COL area. See if they'll give you a sign-on bonus.

If it's a great first job opportunity with a good learning environment, I personally would negotiate a bit and then take the job. 

Consider picking up extra shifts there or elsewhere to make extra income since you'll be a 0.75 FTE. The first two years are crucial to establishing your skills and cementing your knowledge as a new PA so get the extra learning opportunities where/when you can.

PS: my first job wouldn't let me contribute to a 401k until a year in also. It cost me thousands in terms of the time-value of money. I recommend paying off your loans like crazy during this time, living on the cheap, and contributing to your own savings/retirement-type fund to compensate.

Edited by SedRate
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What's the job market there? Are NP's flooding the FP market there like they are here?  I'm seeing FP job offers for as low as $35/hour in the midwest.

Agree with SedRate above.  This isn't a heavy workload, especially when you add in all the PTO.  If you like the practice this could be a good start, and then get a PRN job in an UC/ED to make more money. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Hey, that is good money for a PA in FP....wait, it isn't the year 2000? never mind....😂

My first job as a  PA paid $24/hr. One of my early mentors started at $12. 

😂

Did you have a similar scope of practice in 2000 as you do now? It's hard to imagine having full/near full scope of practice and responsibility and making such little money.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SedRate said:

😂

Did you have a similar scope of practice in 2000 as you do now? It's hard to imagine having full/near full scope of practice and responsibility and making such little money.

Nope that was fast track. The guy at my current solo coverage job was making $35/hr at that time. He retired 8 years ago making $65/hr.