Outpatient vs. Inpatient

So I’m hoping for some advice. I’m three months into my first outpatient job and I’ve always seen myself as an outpatient provider. However, toxic work environment/drama has already made me question whether I should seek out the challenges of working in the hospital for the sake of my mental health. I just don’t see myself lasting at this present company very long (6 month mark to be exact) and was wondering if trying inpatient is worth it to get away from office drama, lack of respect/privacy and unprofessionalism from management. It’s already hard enough to navigate being a new provider and unfortunately I know there is no perfect office out there. From what I gathered at my inpatient rotations, the learning curve is much more steep for me but maybe it’s worth it?! Has anyone liked the switch?

Inpatient is different because you simply encounter more people and have a bigger office, if you will. But the drama, toxic environment, and lack of privacy and professionalism from management can still be there. 

It sounds like you need a new job. If you prefer outpatient, start with getting a new outpatient job as it sounds like the one you have isn't a great example of what outpatient medicine can actually offer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Agree with above. Inpatient can be just horrible too. The infighting among services/ER/hospitalists plus the ancillary staff can be just as bad or worse.

I have been in primary care/outpatient for more than 30 years. Great offices are great. Bad ones are bad. There are plenty of both.

Fine a better outpatient job. They are out there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2