Low BMI patient

• Administrator
15 hours ago, June11 said:

So far all lab work has come back negative, imaging still pending. She was much more lucid last time I saw her which was reassuring and actually gained 6lbs! Putting her bmi to almost 16. Still denies body image issues and attributes lack of appetite to GI issues BUT I found out through other ER notes that there is a question about schizophrenia. We’ll see what the imaging says for other pathology. Thanks everyone for making this such an informative thread! 

Not surprising at all to see an increase in BMI associated with improved mentation. Did you do that, encourage her to, or did she just do that on her own, umprompted?

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I thought I would have updates but sadly I do not. This patient has no showed me 3 times since I saw her last and still hasn’t had advanced imaging done due to not being able to reach her. Likely I will never see her again. Thank you all for your ideas, will take those for the next case.

• Sad 1

• Administrator
On 11/12/2023 at 5:45 AM, ventana said:

strong work

make sure you document attempts at follow up

a few times I have called the police and asked them to do a wellness check on patients - forces the issue....

That's not a bad idea, especially if you (with SP backup, if needed) is willing to involuntary the patient due to inability to care for self. Otherwise, it might make the patient feel alienated. Or rather, it might do that anyways, but I am OK with patients that would otherwise be dead being alive but mad at me for the intervention that saved their life.