Upcoming new grad advice

Hello everyone, I needed some advice on a potential job offer. I graduate in December, and before school, I have been a critical care nurse for six years in a pulmonary/cardiovascular ICU. I have trained to manage Impellas, IABPs, and CABGs while working. Since starting school, I have been set on working in CT surgery, but the Cardiologist in the hospital is offering me a job that will open up in the next week. He's spoken to me over the phone, and his duties will consist of seeing patients in the attached clinic, inpatient rounding, and performing tests. He said I will have full access to him anytime for questions and understands this position has a significant learning curve. I do not know the pay and benefits, but the call would be 1:8. He sounds very supportive and would love to work with me since I have known him for years. I have a CT surgery rotation in 2 months with the CT surgeon working at this hospital, and I hope they will have a position open when I am finished. Still, now I am wondering if I should take the Cardiology position and switch to CT surgery in the future.

A few thoughts:

Firstly, congrats. There's no harm in continuing discussions with the cardiologist. But don't commit yourself or accept anything until you have reviewed the job details, have everything in writing, and have given yourself time to figure out what it is you want to do. You should also go check out the clinic and talk to whoever else may be involved like an office manager or whoever will be your direct boss. Unless you're dying to go into cardiology, the job offer and mentorship are amazing, you want/need something lined up immediately, etc, it'd behoove you to see thru the rest of your rotations before accepting a job at this time. However, they likely won't wait around forever so you may be risking a job opportunity by waiting it out. Further, are they willing to wait for you until after you've graduated and are licensed?

Secondly, if your main goal is getting a job in CTS, don't rush your discussions with the cardiologist. And from what I've experienced, CT surgeons don't like spending time on training and ramping up skills, so it may be better to try to get into CTS right after graduation with a group that is willing to train. The CT surgeon you're rotating with may not or is even hiring. And who knows, you may end up hating the surgeries, schedule, lifestyle, duties, stress, call, or whatever of CTS as a PA. You just won't know until you're there. It isn't the end of the world to switch from cards to CTS later but it may prove more difficult since you won't be in surgery at all. 

And lastly, you need to decide which job and field will be the best for you to start in as a new grad. Cardiology may offer more exposure to other fields and CTS will give you some major procedural, surgical, and medical management experience. I personally thought CTS gave me a wide breadth of exposure. But only you know what is the best path for you. 

Just thoughts from someone who did two rotations in CTS, was offered a job in ortho trauma months before graduation, and has worked in multiple surgical subspecialties including CTS which I switched to from Ortho trauma. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If your heart is set on CT surgery, go for CT surgery.  It's long hours but you get to do a lot of cool procedures.  Generally, you will be very valued once you work hard for a couple years and get a good skill set.  If you don't want to be in the OR after doing CT, it is pretty easy to return to clinic and rounding with cardiology.  I would think it is harder to go from cardiology to CT surgery as the OR can be a harsh, unforgiving place once you have gotten used to clinic.  Although they are similar in some respect, you should do whichever specialty you really want to do!

slow walk any job discussions

CT is tough tough hours with some of the highest overall comp, but I would guess some of the lowest hourly.  Lots of cool stuff and life saving but can be tough schedule to actually have  life

Cards is much easier, but a huge amount depends on the doc.  A good doc that mentors and trains is great, a crappy one will sink you.  I have heard of more then one doc promise access and mentoring to really have no idea what that means.