Training by shadowing

Hi everyone! I'm privileged to say I just got hired as a new grad after two months of applying to over 80 positions. With that being said, it's in a speciality I do not want but I've learned to go along with it as it will be my new job. I've been at this office for a full week and a day, but the PA at this location is training me by having me shadow...

I expected to start seeing patients and report to the PA my first day and nothing close to that happened. I told him second day in that I'm ready to do injections, aspirations, etc and he said "sure" and proceeded to give me only 5 patients total to see on my own last week. It is now my second week and I've only actually seen patients and charted at another location where another PA commutes an hour to cover "for me" because after training is over, I'll be at that second location. This second PA is way more lenient about letting me learn by doing and while I'm terrified, I am grateful. Unfortunately I'm only with the second PA once a week since his original location is very far from where I am.

To add in to this mess, there is a PA student rotating with the first PA that I'll spend most of my time with and will probably bring in another student shortly after this current student leaves. I should also note that this student does go in and take H&Ps way more than I have been.

All in all, I am still soaking up a lot of information but I don't know whether this is too slow of training or if I should be thankful for this ease. The first PA's wife is the manager at the office and told me that "both PAs have two different teaching styles." (I should also note that I already asked prior to hire if the PA student being here is going to hinder anyone's experience and they said no...probably because he's getting paid to precept).

Should I cool it with my expectations or should I tell the first PA that I need to start flying more solo if they want me to leave their location and take over the second location within a month? I definitely don't feel ready as I've barely charted, barely learned about insurances, or even conversated enough with patients as a provider. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this same experience at their jobs? Shadowing is no way to learn how to be a proper PA and I just don't know how long is too long before I should say something again. I've been thrown into the water faster as a student at some of my rotations. I don't want to give them an ultimatum of prioritizing me before PA students but it's going to need to start happening if they want me to move locations and become solo by the end of next month. If you ask me, I should be seeing at least 5 patients a day on my own...not in a week. 

You seem to want to have it both ways. Your initial concern was they weren't letting you go fast enough. Then it was too fast with not enough support.

You have to pick a side. After all the horror stories I have heard about zero orientation and training and getting thrown into the deep end to swim or drown I'd be thrilled for a nice gradual orientation and training period.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Hemmingway said:

You seem to want to have it both ways. Your initial concern was they weren't letting you go fast enough. Then it was too fast with not enough support.

You have to pick a side. After all the horror stories I have heard about zero orientation and training and getting thrown into the deep end to swim or drown I'd be thrilled for a nice gradual orientation and training period.

I should clarify: the “leaving within a month” is coming from management, not the PA I’m with. if it’s up to the PA I’m with, he’d probably have me train 3 months with the pace he’s going at (which is also fine). so yes, the two expectations are coinciding but not from me. I’m trying to learn faster since management wants me to leave my training quickly. 

Honestly, enjoy the slow pace. Ortho will have you managing a million pts on your own in no time, so you'll have plenty of opportunities to ramp up and be overwhelmed later. Do lots of reading in between pts, review as many films as possible, do your own review before and after then confer with the PA later, etc. Hell, shadow the PA student when they're gathering their H&P and performing their exam. Or you can even double team. 

Sincerely,

Someone in Ortho who misses the slow ramp-up, orientation period. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2