2023-2024 Application Cycle

Hi everyone! Thought I’d start this thread as I didn’t see one for this current cycle. Think the timelines helps us all a lot, so here’s mine so far! Out of state & first time applicant.

applied: May 14

confirmation email: May 15

inital review complete email: May 18

June 1: Interview-hold

based on previous cycles it seems people with the interview hold status get interviews or maybe? Would love any info anyone has as well! Thanks & best of luck everyone! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 3:01 AM, HEL127 said:

for those who got interview invites, do you mind sharing your stats? I am considering if I should apply or no since it is almost the end of June. Thank you!

Sorry if this is a little late! 
I’m OOS, graduated May 2023 with 3.96 GPA, 850 hours PCE upon application split between scribe in primary care, spine surgery center, and CNA in rehab center. GRE 319. For volunteer experience, I was part of special Olympics for 4 years both as coach and volunteer with about 4 hours a week and i had about 300 hours of research split between chemistry and psychology labs.  I would compare your stats to their averages to see if you could be a good fit for them! 

On 6/4/2023 at 5:31 AM, TheothePug said:

Hi everyone! Thought I’d start this thread as I didn’t see one for this current cycle. Think the timelines helps us all a lot, so here’s mine so far! Out of state & first time applicant.

applied: May 14

confirmation email: May 15

inital review complete email: May 18

June 1: Interview-hold

based on previous cycles it seems people with the interview hold status get interviews or maybe? Would love any info anyone has as well! Thanks & best of luck everyone! 

What were your stats and are you from the Midwest area? Just curious because I'm from New England area but attending a Master's program in Dubuque, Iowa.

I'm a current UI PA student.  I posted this after my interview in 2021 and thought I'd repost it.  Hopefully you find it helpful.

"The MMI interview format is pretty standard.  The BeMo Consulting website has sample questions and answers. I got a BeMo book to prepare for the CASPer exam and think that the strategy that they lay out is solid. I tried to follow the strategy of; 1. outline the problem 2. who are the important stake holders 3. withhold judgement 4. gather more information (have private conversations with individuals, etc.) 5. provide solution based on best info. available that is best for the most people involved 5.a. if I find that x is true, than I would do y, but if I find that it isn't, than I would do z. (You can also include a quick summary in there of the main points.)  I also tied personal experiences in with my answers to varying degrees depending on the question and if I had any experience that related. You can also ask rhetorical questions that engage the interviewer in the conversation.

I honestly didn't think my answers in the interview were all that great. I felt I babbled a bit and wasn't as organized as the plan I lay out above; however, where I think I was successful was in establishing rapport with the interviewer.  I did not get caught up in trying to prepare the perfect answer to a question because there really isn't a right answer.  I've read people saying to be yourself, which I think is true, but vague. Think about what your style is, how you act, and what your tone is when you engage with friends, colleagues, and patients in conversations about interesting or difficult topics. How do you show you are listening, that you care?  Be enthusiastic. Be genuine.  If you are going to review MMI questions, how would you answer those questions if you were talking to a friend/co-worker/etc. as opposed to an interviewer? 

Also, I'm not sure that the program was evaluating us on the information day before the interview.  From the presentation, I got the impression that they were not; however, we do not really know what all is considered when they are making their final decision. I was surprised that when the dinner was essentially cancelled, very few people stuck around to talk with the staff and faculty.  My other piece of advice in addition to building rapport with your interviewer is to use every opportunity available to you to talk with the faculty and students."

Good luck to you all! 

Edited by JBuck

14 minutes ago, ninaprepa said:

Congrats! What were your stats if you don't mind sharing? Also, are you from Iowa or out-of-state?

I'm out of state coming from Portland, OR

overall GPA: 3.36    Science GPA: 3.39       Last 60 credits GPA: 3.83

Patient care hours: 3440 hrs of Lead Medical Assistant in Head and Neck Surgery

Research hours: 2184 hrs in a Microbiology BSL 2 lab with a publication

minimal shadowing or volunteer hours <40 hrs

• Like 1