Eastern Virginia Medical School Interviews 2023

Just received the email from the Mentorship Committee! 🧡

I want to thank you guys for making us feel at home before we even step foot on the campus! I appreciate the cohort for making time and establishing connections with the upcoming class.

Interviewing definitely can be nerve-wracking but thank you guys again for welcoming us with open arms regardless of any outcome!

I appreciate it so much!💛

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kmj04 said:

I want to thank you guys for making us feel at home before we even step foot on the campus! I appreciate the cohort for making time and establishing connections with the upcoming class.

Interviewing definitely can be nerve-wracking but thank you guys again for welcoming us with open arms regardless of any outcome!

Me too……thank you all 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 8:50 PM, CardsPA2B said:

Hey everyone! Congratulations on making it to interviews! No matter what happens from here, it is an achievement to fill out CASPA and be invited for an interview! My name is Steve, I am also a member of the Class of 2025 Mentorship Committee. A litte about me and my background. I am from Long Island, NY. My experience is in EMS as a Medic and in cardiology at a hospital and I moved here for PA school! Feel free to reach out with any questions and try not to forget to breathe. You got this!

Hey, Steve! Thanks for all of the helpful information! My name is Nick and I am also from Long Island, NY and have experience in emergency medicine. It's awesome to see someone with a similar background enrolled in the EVMS program. I am so excited to see the campus and to meet you and everyone else from this forum in a few weeks! 

On 6/27/2023 at 3:46 PM, kmj04 said:

You’re all so welcome! We are excited to get to know you guys and answer your questions. You will find that if accepted that welcoming feeling continues. As a cohort we have made connections with the cohort of ‘23 and ‘24. Everyone is always so willing and happy to help. We are looking forward to meeting you guys for the pre-interview chats as well as interview day and the social. See ya soon!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alexis1 said:

Hi everyone! Thanks for making this page, it's been very helpful. I can't believe the interviews are next week!

Is there anything we should bring on interview day? 

Hey Alexis!

if you’re wearing heels, bring a comfy pair of shoes to change into for the tours! Also, feel free to bring coffee or something to sip on throughout the day! We also will be going over tips and ideas during the zoom meetings! So feel free to join in on those !!!

5 hours ago, Alexis1 said:

Hi everyone! Thanks for making this page, it's been very helpful. I can't believe the interviews are next week!

Is there anything we should bring on interview day? 

There's nothing exactly required for interviews but definitely make sure that you have your daily dose of caffeine if you're one of those people that can't function without it, *ME*. One of the best tidbits of advice I read online is to make sure you have as little decision making possible the day of the interview. Lay out your outfit the night before, set your alarms hours before you go to bed, put your watch, wallet, purse, pen, etc next to your outfit so you don't have to search the next morning. In my opinion, if you want to run through some pre-interview questions and ideas, do it hours before you go to bed and not the day of. As long as y'all come knowing yourself and are ready to show the program who you are outside of your application, you'll kill it! Please make sure you eat something in the morning, anything. If you're one of those people that stresses with their stomach, putting anything in there to help out with the nerves will be helpful. Disclaimer: If you're one of those people that's nervous and you eat because I told you to I am not responsible for any inopportune bowel movements 🙂. Good luck and be yourself!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all you have put into this thread! It’s super helpful. One thing I am oddly nervous about is being in the afternoon interview group. For two reasons: 1. I am a morning person so I’d prefer to interview in the morning while my brain is fresh and tour in the afternoon. 2. I am from New England, so I’m not so used to the heat. I am worried I am going to get so hot on the tour and then look and feel a mess for an afternoon interview! It seems like such a benefit to get the nerve racking part out of the way!

Any thoughts on this? Do they both have their pros and cons? Thanks again!

4 hours ago, CardsPA2B said:

There's nothing exactly required for interviews but definitely make sure that you have your daily dose of caffeine if you're one of those people that can't function without it, *ME*. One of the best tidbits of advice I read online is to make sure you have as little decision making possible the day of the interview. Lay out your outfit the night before, set your alarms hours before you go to bed, put your watch, wallet, purse, pen, etc next to your outfit so you don't have to search the next morning. In my opinion, if you want to run through some pre-interview questions and ideas, do it hours before you go to bed and not the day of. As long as y'all come knowing yourself and are ready to show the program who you are outside of your application, you'll kill it! Please make sure you eat something in the morning, anything. If you're one of those people that stresses with their stomach, putting anything in there to help out with the nerves will be helpful. Disclaimer: If you're one of those people that's nervous and you eat because I told you to I am not responsible for any inopportune bowel movements 🙂. Good luck and be yourself!

Thank you so much for the advice! Super helpful. I can't function without caffeine or food either so I will definitely make that a priority!

6 hours ago, Chondo said:

Hey Alexis!

if you’re wearing heels, bring a comfy pair of shoes to change into for the tours! Also, feel free to bring coffee or something to sip on throughout the day! We also will be going over tips and ideas during the zoom meetings! So feel free to join in on those !!!

Thanks so much! I didn't think about a comfy pair of shoes, good advice. Looking forward to the meet and greet tomorrow!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ESS16 said:

Thank you so much for all you have put into this thread! It’s super helpful. One thing I am oddly nervous about is being in the afternoon interview group. For two reasons: 1. I am a morning person so I’d prefer to interview in the morning while my brain is fresh and tour in the afternoon. 2. I am from New England, so I’m not so used to the heat. I am worried I am going to get so hot on the tour and then look and feel a mess for an afternoon interview! It seems like such a benefit to get the nerve racking part out of the way!

Any thoughts on this? Do they both have their pros and cons? Thanks again!

Hey there! We actually have a few students from up north who may be able to attest to how they handled the heat ! (Steve for example!) I personally came from PNW in WA and the heat definitely was uncomfortable! However, water will be provided! You’ll have time in between the first half of the day and the second half! So if you need to fix anything or freshen up, you will have time! They lengthened the lunch hour to give the interviewees more time to decompress and the mentorship committee (plus other students) have put together a wonderful lunch for everyone that i think will put a lot of people at ease ! 

I totally understand how you feel though! I had my interview in the second half and was worried that by the time I reached the afternoon that my brain would be exhausted. However, it was the exact opposite ! I was very fortunate to hear about what EVMS had to offer and how the current student felt about the program prior to my interview which in return helped me throughout my interviews! Plus, the tour was a lot cooler with it being in the AM! 

I promise it will be a day that you won’t forget whether your interview is in the AM or PM! It was such a memorable experience for me and I left even more in love with the school 🥰🥰 

I am apart of the mentorship committee and will have some “freshen” up supplies (including repair supplies haha like bandaids/electrolytes) with me. So if you or anyone else needs anything, please don’t hesitate to seek me out!! 

Edited by Chondo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chondo said:

Hey there! We actually have a few students from up north who may be able to attest to how they handled the heat ! (Steve for example!) I personally came from PNW in WA and the heat definitely was uncomfortable! However, water will be provided! You’ll have time in between the first half of the day and the second half! So if you need to fix anything or freshen up, you will have time! They lengthened the lunch hour to give the interviewees more time to decompress and the mentorship committee (plus other students) have put together a wonderful lunch for everyone that i think will put a lot of people at ease ! 

I totally understand how you feel though! I had my interview in the second half and was worried that by the time I reached the afternoon that my brain would be exhausted. However, it was the exact opposite ! I was very fortunate to hear about what EVMS had to offer and how the current student felt about the program prior to my interview which in return helped me throughout my interviews! Plus, the tour was a lot cooler with it being in the AM! 

I promise it will be a day that you won’t forget whether your interview is in the AM or PM! It was such a memorable experience for me and I left even more in love with the school 🥰🥰 

I am apart of the mentorship committee and will have some “freshen” up supplies (including repair supplies haha like bandaids/electrolytes) with me. So if you or anyone else needs anything, please don’t hesitate to seek me out!! 

Thank you so much, this is super helpful! I didn’t think about how the tour will be cooler in the morning! It sounds like either way, it will be great. See you tonight!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chondo said:

Hey there! I'm also coming from PNW WA. Where are you from?! How do you feel the transition has been?

I was worried about the heat too, but it's been a verrrry dry mid-high 90s here, so weather honestly looks better over there...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRalls said:

Hey there! I'm also coming from PNW WA. Where are you from?! How do you feel the transition has been?

I was worried about the heat too, but it's been a verrrry dry mid-high 90s here, so weather honestly looks better over there...

I'm a military spouse and we are stationed on Whidbey Island, WA! I definitely miss the WA weather for sure and the views! BUTTT I'm actually from Virginia Beach and an ODU grad! I'm fortunately very lucky that I'm familiar with the area! 🙂 if you have any questions about the area, feel free to reach out!!

30 minutes ago, Chondo said:

I'm a military spouse and we are stationed on Whidbey Island, WA! I definitely miss the WA weather for sure and the views! BUTTT I'm actually from Virginia Beach and an ODU grad! I'm fortunately very lucky that I'm familiar with the area! 🙂 if you have any questions about the area, feel free to reach out!!

Oh nice! I'm in Eastern WA, so different weather, and a little further from the Cascades, but close to ID, and we've got some great hiking spots over there 🙂 

• Like 1

Good morning! I want to thank you guys so much for the meet & greet Zoom yesterday! I greatly appreciate everyone for taking the time out of their busy schedule to help us with questions during our interview process.  🧡

I did have one question that I forgot to ask yesterday on Zoom. I feel like my question is a bit confusing so I am sorry in advance. 

Since we submit our CASPA application a year in advance for EVMS (2022), and applicants hear back for interview invites in (2023). During our interview, if we took more prerequisites in Fall(2022), and also Spring(2023); but the courses were not on our application due to submitting early; should we mention this in the interview? I have retaken at least 8 prerequisite courses this past year due to upcoming expiration, but a majority of them are not on my application from Spring 2022. Also, I excelled better in these previous courses bringing my prerequisite GPA up as well. So I was not sure if I should mention this due to the faculty looking at what I submitted. 

Edited by kmj04

Hello, and thanks for the question. Courses taken after you have applied are not considered for this cycle since they were not completed before the application deadline of March 2023. If the courses were not part of the official transcript, then those courses are not considered. If you are not selected for this cohort of applicants, the next year's application cycle will include these courses, provided you apply before the deadline. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DThibodeau said:

Hello, and thanks for the question. Courses taken after you have applied are not considered for this cycle since they were not completed before the application deadline of March 2023. If the courses were not part of the official transcript, then those courses are not considered. If you are not selected for this cohort of applicants, the next year's application cycle will include these courses, provided you apply before the deadline. 

Thanks.

Thank you so much!

If given a question about what have I done during the year to enhance my application; should I mention these courses I have taken?

Hello, I had a question pertaining for ladies on interview day on whether bringing a small or large purse is best? I was not sure if on interview day we may be provided with paperwork on financial aid or just pamphlets about the program? I know we may also have to carry water, snacks. I just want to be prepared..🙂 

1 hour ago, Nie1995 said:

Hello, I had a question pertaining for ladies on interview day on whether bringing a small or large purse is best? I was not sure if on interview day we may be provided with paperwork on financial aid or just pamphlets about the program? I know we may also have to carry water, snacks. I just want to be prepared..🙂 

Hi!
Yes, please feel free to bring a purse. Size is up to you 🙂

I, personally, brought a smaller purse and just put my necessities in it!

If paperwork is provided, you will be given a folder with it.

I would not worry too much about bringing a water bottle with you 😉 but definitely feel free to bring coffee in the AM if that helps you! There are water fountains around campus plus access to an ice machine. If it helps, feel free to bring a lunch box for your snacks (and lunch too if you did not purchase a lunch through us) and we can store it in one of the fridges on campus. 

19 hours ago, Chondo said:

Hi!
Yes, please feel free to bring a purse. Size is up to you 🙂

I, personally, brought a smaller purse and just put my necessities in it!

If paperwork is provided, you will be given a folder with it.

I would not worry too much about bringing a water bottle with you 😉 but definitely feel free to bring coffee in the AM if that helps you! There are water fountains around campus plus access to an ice machine. If it helps, feel free to bring a lunch box for your snacks (and lunch too if you did not purchase a lunch through us) and we can store it in one of the fridges on campus. 

Perfect! Thank you. 🙂  So nervous yet excited to meet everyone! 

I just wanted to hop on here one last time before interviews to wish everyone GOOD LUCK! 🍀🙂 You all have worked so hard to get to this point, so be proud of everything you have accomplished thus far. Try to lay everything out tonight that you need for interviews in the morning so that you are ready to go! Get a good nights sleep and PLEASE eat breakfast! I know it can be hard to eat when you are nervous and your stomach feels like it is in knots, but believe me, you will be happy you did! You can do this! 🍀

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AprilConard said:

I just wanted to hop on here one last time before interviews to wish everyone GOOD LUCK! 🍀🙂 You all have worked so hard to get to this point, so be proud of everything you have accomplished thus far. Try to lay everything out tonight that you need for interviews in the morning so that you are ready to go! Get a good nights sleep and PLEASE eat breakfast! I know it can be hard to eat when you are nervous and your stomach feels like it is in knots, but believe me, you will be happy you did! You can do this! 🍀

Thank you so much for all of your help thus far! I greatly appreciate everything you have done to help throughout this process.

• Like 2