Is it worth trying for?

Hey Everyone, I couldn't find any profiles in the STATs page that were comparable to mine so I thought I would throw myself out there and see what you all think.

I'm 29, and currently wrapping up my Masters while at the same time attempting to finish as many pre-reqs as I can. In a nutshell I played around and got a ugly undergrad GPA. I got my act together and managed to accomplish the grades below.

At times I feel like a go-getter and willing to work endlessly to achieve my goal of being a PA but other times (like now) I get so discouraged and wonder if all this work is worth it....especially if I don't really have a chance at getting accepted.

Ultimately, I know that "If you really want something you should never give up trying". That adage applies to most applicants, but I really need to be honest with myself and fair to my family (wife and newborn) in regards to time/money spent.

I guess I'm looking for someone to hit me with a reality stick ....who better to knock some sense into me then a few complete strangers :)

Thanks for the input everyone.

Undergrad Major (2006 - University of Central Florida): Management Information Systems

Graduate Major (2013): Health Informatics

GPAs:

[TABLE=width: 209]

[TR]

[TD=width: 150, colspan: 2]Post Baccalaureate[/TD]

[TD=width: 29][/TD]

[TD=class: xl24, width: 30, align: right]3.95[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Cumalative Undergrad[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: xl24, align: right]2.84[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Graduate[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: xl24, align: right]3.93[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Overall[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: xl24, align: right]3.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Science[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: xl24, align: right]3.83[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

*Per CASPA the cumulative Undergrad GPA is the sum of my Undergrad GPA(quality pts, etc.): 2.64 and my Post Baccalaureate

HCE: ~1000hrs as a Nurse Aid

* I am an administrator/owner of an Assisted Living Facility and work all shifts/roles as needed. Role as a Nurse Aid is the only job that I do at my company that I believe will be considered hands on HCE.

GRE: 1150 based on old scale

Shadowing: ~100

25hrs Family Practice PA

8hrs Surgical PA

X hrs - Looking for an additional 10hrs w/ a PA before submission

50hrs Family Practice DO

8hrs Geriatric MD

LOR: Solid letters of Recommendation

Anticipated CASPA submission DATE: 5/1/13 *Immediately after Spring '13 grades post

Schools: Hitting all Florida Schools.

* The Novas (orlando, Laud, Davie, jacks) all consider Overall GPA. Which obviously works in my favor...barely.

So there you have it...everything out in the open. What do you think? Does anyone have any insight on how I can improve my application or some words of wisdom from related past experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Everyone, I couldn't find any profiles in the STATs page that were comparable to mine so I thought I would throw myself out there and see what you all think.

I'm 29, and currently wrapping up my Masters while at the same time attempting to finish as many pre-reqs as I can. In a nutshell I played around and got a ugly undergrad GPA. I got my act together and managed to accomplish the grades below.

At times I feel like a go-getter and willing to work endlessly to achieve my goal of being a PA but other times (like now) I get so discouraged and wonder if all this work is worth it....especially if I don't really have a chance at getting accepted.

Ultimately, I know that "If you really want something you should never give up trying". That adage applies to most applicants, but I really need to be honest with myself and fair to my family (wife and newborn) in regards to time/money spent.

I guess I'm looking for someone to hit me with a reality stick ....who better to knock some sense into me then a few complete strangers :)

Thanks for the input everyone.

Undergrad Major (2006 - University of Central Florida): Management Information Systems

Graduate Major (2013): Health Informatics

GPAs:

[TABLE=width: 209]

[TR]

[TD=width: 150, colspan: 2]Post Baccalaureate[/TD]

[TD=width: 29][/TD]

[TD=class: xl24, width: 30, align: right]3.95[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Cumalative Undergrad[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: xl24, align: right]2.84[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Graduate[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: xl24, align: right]3.93[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Overall[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: xl24, align: right]3.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Science[/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD=class: xl24, align: right]3.83[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

*Per CASPA the cumulative Undergrad GPA is the sum of my Undergrad GPA(quality pts, etc.): 2.64 and my Post Baccalaureate

HCE: ~1000hrs as a Nurse Aid

* I am an administrator/owner of an Assisted Living Facility and work all shifts/roles as needed. Role as a Nurse Aid is the only job that I do at my company that I believe will be considered hands on HCE.

GRE: 1150 based on old scale

Shadowing: ~100

25hrs Family Practice PA

8hrs Surgical PA

X hrs - Looking for an additional 10hrs w/ a PA before submission

50hrs Family Practice DO

8hrs Geriatric MD

LOR: Solid letters of Recommendation

Anticipated CASPA submission DATE: 5/1/13 *Immediately after Spring '13 grades post

Schools: Hitting all Florida Schools.

So there you have it...everything out in the open. What do you think? Does anyone have any insight on how I can improve my application or some words of wisdom from related past experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Even though I cannot empathize with you completely, I understand how you feel because at times I feel the same way. Honestly, the only way to fail in this journey is not to try at all. Believe me, there are still people out there who still got in despite their extremely low GPA. Although, I really think that you have to work much harder to raise your GPA to at least 3.0 to have better chances of getting into at least one school since majority of them requires 3.0 cGPA. When you get there, then you have better chances of applying. Right now, I don't think that will get you in to a school especially your are only applying to Florida schools. Expand your options of where you might be applying as well. I understand that you have family with you but the more schools you apply the higher your chances to get into at least one school. Don't limit yourself. Otherwise, you might have to just change your strategy. Maybe try applying later when everything is in place (ie baby is bigger, more flexibility of relocation, as close to 3.0 cGPA. etc). There you go! I hope that helped. Good luck!

• Administrator

Graduate GPA is irrelevant. It simply doesn't matter until particular your undergraduate cumulative GPA is high enough to be considered.

Post-bacc GPA is irrelevant, except as it figures into your undergraduate cumulative GPA.

GPA at the time you received your bachelor's degree is irrelevant, except as it figures into your undergraduate cumulative GPA.

You list your cumulative undergraduate GPA as 2.84. That makes it a non-starter, except at programs that consider the "last X" credits, where X may be 30, 45, or 60. You may want to pay special attention to such programs.

Thanks for the responses @annemarreb and @amberseago. Definitely good to hear some encouraging words. I put emphasis on my overall GPA because the Florida schools that I'm applying to look at overall GPA as opposed to cumulative undergrad GPA. I still barely make the cut with the standard 3.0 being the cutoff.

@rev ronin: Your comments are exactly where my hesitation stems from. However, I checked and tripled check and then for fun checked again to ensure that the schools I'm applying to do consider my overall GPA (making sure I communicated that overall meant including my Graduate degree).

You do make a valid point though, and I will absolutely consider other less GPA demanding programs. Thanks.

• Administrator

The point isn't "less GPA demanding", but the "recent X" ones favor those who have had substantial recent changes in GPA. For example, my cum undergrad is 3.3, but my "last 45", which is what my program used, is 3.95ish. The "Last X" schools are full of people with sucky early undergrad careers, but STELLAR recent work. A "Last X" of 3.5 is probably not terribly competitive in one of those programs, while a cumulative GPA of 3.5 is competitive most places.

According the the CASPA website, the company that figures the GPA and submits candidate's packages to programs, graduate work is included in the calculation of GPA: https://portal.caspaonline.org/applicants2013/faq/gpas.htm

Hope this helps because, I was wondering the same thing and my advisor found out that masters level graduate work is included in the GPA calculation. Cause I too was lazy the fist go around (in my early undergraduate years), my post-bach work and graduate GPA will be my saving grace. Best of luck!

Graduate level courses are included in OVERALL GPA, but not UNDERGRAD GPA, which is what many schools use as their cutoff GPA. For most programs, as counterintuitive as it may seem, you're better off doing more retakes and undergrad work than going for the masters, based on a numbers standpoint.

Graduate level courses are included in OVERALL GPA, but not UNDERGRAD GPA, which is what many schools use as their cutoff GPA. For most programs, as counterintuitive as it may seem, you're better off doing more retakes and undergrad work than going for the masters, based on a numbers standpoint.

Gator, I usually agree with most your posts. I think you're incorrect on this one. Every school I've come in contact with looked at my overall grades not just my undergrad and post bach.

For example:

BA cGPA - 2.31

Post Bach - 4.0

Total undergrad - 2.72

MBA - 3.69

CASPA cGPA - 2.93

Every school has only spoken about the 2.93... I've never had them mention my GPA being at a 2.72.

I guess it really does depend on the program you are interested in. Some make the argument that graduate GPA shouldn't be considered because essentially nothing below a B- is accepted in graduate school; but, I think it's just as valid of a representation of the applicant as the Fs and WFs received earlier in some of our careers.

Despite the opinions, it sounds like the smartest move is to call the program and make sure THEY understand what you're are looking for. I made it very clear (without being rude) to each program rep. that I could only meet GPA expectations if my graduate work was considered. Hopefully each person I spoke to was completely honest with me.

Also, at 2.84, your undergrad GPA should be easy to manipulate with like 12 credits worth of re-takes. Just retake courses that you scored low grades initially and replace them with A's, 4.0. That could possibly get your GPA as high as 3.00, depending on where your original grades are/how many total undergrad credits you have.

Also, your grades and experience will probably be very attractive to accelerated BSN programs. If you really don't want to retake courses you could always go the BSN route and then possibly after a year or two apply to programs like Medex, etc. You'd get in there I think (after all the hours and all).

@ bjl12 Great advice. I actually am looking at my local university's accelerated BSN program as my contingency plan. I know I'll be offered some great opportunities after my graduate degree, but honestly really want that clinical background behind me since it does make a huge ($$$) difference in the Informatics industry.

I'll try calculating my GPA again using best case scenarios and CASPA standards, but last time I checked it takes a lot of "quality points" to push yourself over the 3.0 mark especially after you already have so many credits under your belt from a previous BS. Thanks

Well, $$$ wise, nurses have the capacity to clean house. Nurses have vast options from a BSN (NP, cRNA, phRN, and like a bajillion more). So going the BSN route would mean you're taking on a career, and a lucrative one. It's more labor-based than PA (from my pre-pa understanding), but there is tremendous growth potential / possible avenues to go. PA's can kind of only be PA's, but their gig is pretty sweet. Again, this is all based on my naive, pre-pa understanding.

This site is helpful for GPA purposes:

http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm

• Administrator
Also, at 2.84, your undergrad GPA should be easy to manipulate with like 12 credits worth of re-takes. Just retake courses that you scored low grades initially and replace them with A's, 4.0. That could possibly get your GPA as high as 3.00, depending on where your original grades are/how many total undergrad credits you have.

You know that CASPA considers every attempt, right? A 3 credit C/2.0 course retaken for an A/4.0 is 3 credits of C and 3 credits of A (or 6 credits of 3.0), not 3 credits of 4.0.

Although CASPA does take every course attempt into account, there are some programs out there that require a supplement form where you can list out retake courses and the admissions comittee will look at grades from the most recent attempt.

At least that is what I am told from people at admissions at some programs.

Archived