Bachelor's for healthcare experience.

Hello, 

I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice as far as healthcare experience goes. I am deciding on my bachelor's now and am torn between a couple of options. The ones I'm considering are Medical Lab Science, Respiratory Therapy, and Radiologic Science. I feel that Respiratory Therapy and Radiologic Science would get me more hands on experience, but I think I find working in the lab more interesting. I know that the Lab degree is less heavily weighted when it comes to healthcare experience by some schools. But, I heard from my MLS graduate friend that the first year of medical school is a review of the Medical Lab Science material. I am just torn on what to do, any advice?

I am a medical laboratory scientist going to PA school. I would say if you choose this route understand that there might be PA schools that might not accept this due to the lack of direct patient care. If possible maybe try getting a lab job that also includes phlebotomy so that you can obtain both HCE and PCE. If PCE isn't an issue then I say MLS is a great background to have because you'll know what all the testing means and what tests are appropriate for your future patients. Medical Lab science is really hard but I personally enjoyed it. I learned a lot! Feel free to ask me any questions! 

• 1 month later...

My standard answer. It costs money to go to college and getting into (and out of) a PA program is not a sure thing.

I recommend that you take ANY major that you would be willing to do as a career if things don't work out. Along the way, take as electives all of the things that PA schools require. During the summers, etc, try to get the healthcare experience you need to know for sure that this is what you want to do and to satisfy the schools that you know what you're getting into.