Acall to Veterans

Hello, everyone.

I have posted here before asking about schools. I am nowasking about Chapter 31 benefits and how I can get my plan changed from a BSNto PA. I am I apply to the BSN program next semester and I was given the goahead from my counselor to go ahead and take PA pre-req's to Medex and IdahoState's programs. I would like to get my plan changed From BSN to Pa. I amworried about pissing off my VA rep if I approach him unprepared. I casually mentionedmy interest to him and he said(like I mentioned above) that he will cover thethe prereqs until I complete the nursing program nut that was it.

I know I have rights, and I know that Veteran’s use chapter31 to go through Law school. My question is have I shot myself in the foot andcan I change his mind and my plan? I would really appreciate the help guys.

For those that don't know what chapter 31 benefits are it isVocational Rehab for veterans disabled in the line of duty. It is not state vocationrehab but Veterans voc rehab. Thanks.

Most of your pre-reqs for PA school are nursing pre-reqs also (Anatomy, Physiology, Micro, Stats). Are you a medic? If not, I would stick with the BSN as that is top notch HCE.

I don't think I understand your question. Don't worry about the VA Rep. His job is to work for you, so that YOU use your benefit how ever YOU want (as long as the courses fit your ed plan).

I didn't proof read my post so I will re-iterate what I mean. I am using chpater 31 benefits to persue a BSN. However, with chapter 31 benefits I am only afforded 48 months of education. My plan also has to get approved by the VA. I have read that in certain cases Veterans have been approved their Masters and Bachelors, meaning they go over the 48 month cap with waivers. My questions is : How should I approach my Vet Counselor and ask him to change my plan to PA. I was working as a Cna but I quit inorder to make A's in my current classes so I will have little to no HCE. I live in Idaho and The University in Pocetello does not requir any so I would apply there. I know that I would be putting all of my eggs in one basket but VA Voc rehab is a weird program. It is not like the GI-bill. If I move I have to get another Veterans Counselor to approve my plan. Thanks

You need to talk to your counselor about it and see if it's possible to rewrite your plan for PA school in a way that will include undergrad. If not, finish the BSN , get some HCE, then pay for PA school via the usual student loans. You will be coming out way ahead either way. Moving while using chp 31 benefits is not a big deal just fyi. They'll just transfer your file to the local office for wherever you're moving to and get it all set up. It's not as if your new counselor is going to stop your benefits.

I changed my major about a half dozen times to do my pre-req's. When I get in to a program, I'll deal with the VA rep at THAT SCHOOL. The reason is that it will be their VA counselor not your current one that does your course plan. For now, get your undergrad/prereq's done as a BSN (or whatever major) to get funded completion of them. Once you're in a program, their VA reps will take over.

Rich

I changed my major about a half dozen times to do my pre-req's. When I get in to a program, I'll deal with the VA rep at THAT SCHOOL. The reason is that it will be their VA counselor not your current one that does your course plan. For now, get your undergrad/prereq's done as a BSN (or whatever major) to get funded completion of them. Once you're in a program, their VA reps will take over.

Rich

The only thing a school's VA rep really does when it comes to chp 31 is send the bill to the VA. Actual VA voc rehab counselors are in charge of benefit approval, writing the plan, etc.

Thank you for all of the Replies. And I don't think there ismore flexibility under voc rehab, at least not in my case. I think I am goingto set up a packet of information displaying employment opportunities, jobgrowth and potential income numbers (all the stuff they like to see). Iunderstand that if they do approve my plan than they would also have to provideme with waivers to increase the length of my benefits. I have used 12 months ofmy 48 and I should have 4-6 months left after my BSN.

Again thank you for the information, I just need to buck upand approach him.

Archived