Advice on Major?

I'm torn between choosing my major. I originally chose APK with a desire to go to med school, however I realized that wasn't the right path for me and would rather go to PA school after studying something of my interest (such as computer hardware engineering). I know engineering is just a GPA killer and there's no reason to do that if wanting to become a PA, but I'm still considering doing it. Any advice?

Thanks

hmmmmmmmmmmm I vote don't go into medicine. Go into something in the computer field. If you REALLY must fulfill some sort passion about medicine AND computing...write a freaking EMR program that's worth a damn for a busy clinician.

Of course I know nothing about you except for the roughly 80 words you just posted above. You would like career advice from a panel of strangers basing their judgement on a small paragraph...heck, I'm still trying to figure out what degree APK stands for.

The way you chose your words it appears that you don't want to go through the rigors of med school and have decided that PA is shorter, easier, and good enough to attend once you get done tapping around keyboards and building a better mouse. I say go with your first passion.

• Administrator

If you want a cushy GPA with no work, major in Education.

If you want to kick butt and understand digital and biological systems both? Go for the engineering/computer science route. Seriously, after being in my first job for almost a month, I'm pretty convinced that my computer undergrad/professional background prior to PA school is one of the main reasons I got hired instead of other perfectly good candidates.

I don't think you can go wrong with a degree in engineering. Be an engineer if it interests you as being a clinician and an engineer have similar qualities such as being intuitive, analytical, diagnostic, and familiar with structures / mechanisms. If you ever change your mind later and feel you want to do patient care go back and take the prerequisites for PA school. Lots of people change majors and careers. My first love was advertising but after not being able to secure an advertising job after graduating my career went down a different path and eventually leading me to PA. I have no regrets and it took 14 years for me to figure it out. The last thing you want is to have doubt if you made the right decision. It's easier to take 5 prerequisites and become a PA versus going back to get an engineering degree.

Archived