grades

I want to know do PA school look at how well you did in your science classes through out your college career, or just look at your final science gpa?

For example if you werent consistant with the grades and got B's here and C's there, but ended real strong with some upper level science course on your final year.

I have actually heard from a number of admissions people that they would rather have you take new upper level science courses (300-400 level) than re-take a class. Say, for example, you got a B- in gen bio I: better to take developmental biology or molecular biology for example and get an A than retake gen-bio and get an A. That way, you can demonstate your ability to excel in a more challenging, higher-level biology course that you have never taken before. PA schools are looking for candidates that can handle the rigor of their academic program the first time through. I will add that it is best to check with your specific program - some only calculate your grades from specific courses when considering your application (although MANY are happy to replace a intro bio class with an upper level one). This method worked for me, and was a LOT more enjoyable.

I have actually heard from a number of admissions people that they would rather have you take new upper level science courses (300-400 level) than re-take a class. Say, for example, you got a B- in gen bio I: better to take developmental biology or molecular biology for example and get an A than retake gen-bio and get an A. That way, you can demonstate your ability to excel in a more challenging, higher-level biology course that you have never taken before. PA schools are looking for candidates that can handle the rigor of their academic program the first time through. I will add that it is best to check with your specific program - some only calculate your grades from specific courses when considering your application (although MANY are happy to replace a intro bio class with an upper level one). This method worked for me, and was a LOT more enjoyable.

hmm that's actually good to know because that's what I did and then I became worried that I should retake those old intro classes I did poorly in. I have done well in my recent upper level courses. Just trying to figure out what else I should do.

I think it depends on the program. For example, Western University of Health Sciences would rather have you retake Pretequisite courses because they honor grade replacements. Best thing to do is ask the school if they follow the caspa GPA or if they honor grade replacements. If they follow the CASPA GPA then I'd suggest taking upper level courses.

Archived