Got into PA school on the 2nd try?

I think my overall GPA is just too low. I am going to quit working and take classes full time for a year to boost my GPA. I think my recommendations were good because I got an interview. Even at the interview one of the lady's interviewing me kept saying "That's a good answer" and "ooh wow, very nice". One of the programs I applied to gave me a very general response and said they do not answer specifics for each applicant but the other program said I could email them in May in regards to my specific application. I feel like I am just chasing after something that I will never attain.

don't lose hope! My overall gpa and science gpa were 3.1, and I got in to three programs (2nd attempt) this year. It's possible, just figure out what you can improve on and focus on that on your interviews. Also, make sure your personal statement is very positive and reflects all the work you have done! Good luck!

I think my overall GPA is just too low. I am going to quit working and take classes full time for a year to boost my GPA. I think my recommendations were good because I got an interview. Even at the interview one of the lady's interviewing me kept saying "That's a good answer" and "ooh wow, very nice". One of the programs I applied to gave me a very general response and said they do not answer specifics for each applicant but the other program said I could email them in May in regards to my specific application. I feel like I am just chasing after something that I will never attain.

The good news is that you got an interview. Regardless if you get an interview or not everyone should always improving their stats (HCE, cGPA, sGPA, volunteering, etc). By not working and going back to school you're kind of hurting yourself because not only are you not increasing that stat, but you're not making money, you're not gaining experience, and some adcoms may read into it that you cannot balance your workload and may question your ability to handle the rigors of PA school.

That being said I recommend you continue to raise your grades, HCE, and volunteering hours. I would expand to different programs you haven't applied to yet. I would do some more research as to which programs accepted student stats match your present stats. I can think of a few programs where you'd fit in with your current stats on the west coast. Additionally, although you interviewed and felt you did well, that program felt you were a good enough applicant on paper to interview you however other interviewees stood out to them more or they felt you were not a good fit for their program or it could have been a case of applying and interviewing too late.

Speaking from personal experience and not to throw salt on a wound, but I got in with a 2.93 cGPA / 3.5+ sGPA / 500 hours HCE at application / with massive GPA grade trending (bad undergrad / good masters / flawless post-Bach), and killer PS / LORs and crap tons of shadowing of a variety of healthcare fields, and loads of community service plus my non-traditional professional background. The point is I did it and you can too. And to be honest my first time I applied to 8 schools got 1 interview and rejected by all of them. My second time applying I was smarter about where I applied and to be honest I didn't plan on getting in that cycle as I was really working towards when I was going to apply for my 3rd CASPA application cycle. Luckily I did get an interview, I prepped hard for it, I came in humble and confident, and I finished victorious in the end.

Believe in yourself and have some faith. Just need to be patient and keep doing what you're doing. Be selective in the schools you're applying to and remember these stats are just to get you to the interview. After that its all you and has nothing to do with that initial application or your stats. It has to do with YOU and how well you fit / blend in with their programs goals and culture.

Keep your head up and best of luck!

Timon: Thank you so much for sharing your personal success. I feel like my situation is very similar to yours and you have given me inspiration to keep pursuing my dream. I think this kind of story is the one I wanted to hear that there is a way to get in if someone works hard enough. Thank you!

Don't be afraid to ask why you didn't get accepted. I asked a state school and they wrote me back (to my surprise). They will likely be honest and let you know. That will give you a good idea where to focus your efforts and if this is your first time applying, don't be discouraged at all, it seems that a majority of people do not get in on their first time applying.

Archived