Organic Chemistry

Is it as bad as EVERYONE claims? I've set up my next 2-3 semesters (Spring/S1/S2) so that, if I want to, I can take Org Che 1 in the Fall without any other labs (I'd still have ~18 credits, just only one science). However, doing so would mean I'd have to make up a Physics lab summer 14'.

Is Organic Chemistry seriously THAT difficult?!

I would compare it to A/P as far as memorization but in Spanish, because you can't relate to a body part you are familiar with....it's just a bunch of STUFF (is the best way to describe it) because it makes sense in the realm of orgo but not in anything else...if that makes any sense?

I breezed through both Gen Chem I and II, and Orgo kicked my ***. I liked the analogy of anatomy in spanish, but don't let that deceive you. They have absolutely nothing in common. I constantly lived in the text, did practice problems, and had a private tutor who TA'd for the professor. Even with all of that, I still struggled to get through that class. Orgo II was better for me more so than Orgo I because it focused more on reaction mechanisms and the terminology wasn't as foreign to me. SN1 and SN2 reactions clicked for me in Orgo II, and I wished I could have gone back in time and retaken the Orgo I exams that had those reactions haha! I also had the Orgo lab that semester and a physics lab. Believe me when I say that my personal life ceased to exist that semester, but I making it through is definitely doable.

I took Accelerated organic chemistry (5 Weeks) 2 hour class every day, 4 hours of lab each week. It was intense and you really needed to put time in after class to study... but it can be done it basically is a bunch of rules that you have to follow, if you follow the rules then you can get the write answer... By the way i took organic before i even took Chem 1 or Chem 2 I am in chem 1 right now and the math is kicking my butt! I got a tutor for organic and met with him at the end of each week to make sure i understood everything. If you practice the problems and memorize the rules then you can do it.

I don't think there is any similarity in content of A/P and orgo, as they are clearly different examinations of science. What I'm interested in is whether or not the memorization demand is similar to that of A/P. I took A/P1 and Micro this past summer, simultaneously, along with some Anthropology class (required for undergrad) and found the two sciences to be overwhelming for basically the entire summer. I finished with an A in Anthro and A-'s in A/P1 and Micro, but I was thoroughly exhausted.

With that in mind, I don't know if I can take another highly demanding memorization course, like Orgo 1 (if it's similar to A/P1 in terms of memorization demand) along with Physics 1 and 12 other credits, while working 20ish hours a week.

I don't think there is any similarity in content of A/P and orgo, as they are clearly different examinations of science. What I'm interested in is whether or not the memorization demand is similar to that of A/P. I took A/P1 and Micro this past summer, simultaneously, along with some Anthropology class (required for undergrad) and found the two sciences to be overwhelming for basically the entire summer. I finished with an A in Anthro and A-'s in A/P1 and Micro, but I was thoroughly exhausted.

With that in mind, I don't know if I can take another highly demanding memorization course, like Orgo 1 (if it's similar to A/P1 in terms of memorization demand) along with Physics 1 and 12 other credits, while working 20ish hours a week.

No its not STRAIGHT memorization... the best way to describe it is there is a set a rules for everything and you memorize the rules and that how you figure out the problem Say when you get to the addition reactions there are i Think 8 reactions that follow certain rules... some form a carbo cation and rearrange so just form the carbo cation ion and get replaced ( Trying not to go into too much detail not to get you confused) for those who know what i am talking about markinkov and anti anti markinov and zatisef rules.... AGHHH lol

Pure memorization doesn't work like it does in anatomy and likewise doing well in one isn't a predicator for doing well in another. Orgo is memorization on your own time to be able to rely on that memorization to incorporate it and apply your knowledge on test day. A lot of it was recognizing trends that various organic compounds undergo and knowing when to apply certain rules. The pain of it is there is almost always an exception to a rule where another set of rules is required to solve the question. As far as taking it with Physics I, that depends on your personal time management skills. I can tell you I landed a high C in Orgo II, and have received an interview invite for each of my schools I applied to and am now in the position where I'm turning down acceptance offers so Orgo I & II isn't do or die if the rest of your application is well rounded. Just get through it and move onto the next hurdle is my own two cents.

Obviously the 2 courses have very little in common (I thought as college students that was already established) but I was trying to answer your question on memorization between the two. Which is why I compared it to memorization in Spanish. Orgo has a lot of simple rules but when you add them all together it can be complicated, one simple mistake can ruin the rest of your answer to problems (kind of like Algebra without the #'s). But according to some people if you know your shapes and alphabet you should ace this class. Maybe if you get one of those new 3-D tv's it might help you too. :)

I don't think it is as bad as everyone makes it out to be as long as you put in the time and effort needed for doing well. I loved organic chemistry I and II and was an organic chemist for four years after undergrad. I think that calc and general chem were much worse, but everyone's opinion is different.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm jumping in a little late...but I'll give it a shot. I haven't taken any Chemistry classes yet but would like to just take Organic Chemistry l & ll. I have read mixed opinions on this. Some suggest I take gen chem before orgo and others say I'd be just fine taking orgo l & ll without taking gen chem at all. I would like to get some opinions from members of this form. Thanks!

I know I'm jumping in a little late...but I'll give it a shot. I haven't taken any Chemistry classes yet but would like to just take Organic Chemistry l & ll. I have read mixed opinions on this. Some suggest I take gen chem before orgo and others say I'd be just fine taking orgo l & ll without taking gen chem at all. I would like to get some opinions from members of this form. Thanks!

They don't really have THAT much to do with each other, but I would have a hard time believing that there are PA programs that wouldn't require AT LEAST gen Chem 1. You should take gen chem. Not because you will use it everyday in PA school, but because it is a basic science that you should understand. You won't get the important fundamentals in O chem - some of which are relevant (diffusion, osmosis etc) and some of which are a little esoteric (quantum mechanics, etc).

I know lots of people complain about it (I definitely did at the time) but there is much harder material out there. You need to be able to challenge yourself with difficult material and learn to find a way to make it make sense to you. You'll almost definitely have to take it, but even if you don't, you probably should..

Plus, then you can join in with whining about it with the rest of us :)

I loved Orgo, way better than Gen Chem.

My school accepted the 2 semesters of Orgo in place of 2 semester of Gen Chem. Although I am glad I took AP Chem in highschool to prepare for Ogro in college.

My advice to OP: take Orgo I think it is better knowledge for the average person over Gen, but if you get into trouble get help EARLY.

Archived