Currently a paramedic/firefighter questioning if I’m smart enough to succeed through PA school.

Currently, I am a firefighter and paramedic at our department. I have a decent job that I can retire from and live out for the rest of my working years. I graduated with a cumulative 3.1 GPA with a premed degree, since then I’ve done another 60 hrs of college credits with a 3.8.  I feel like I can do more than I am with my life right now, and want to apply to PA school. I did an accelerated paramedic program, completing it all in 10-11 months and did very well. I’m more concerned about quitting my job for the opportunity of going back to PA school and then failing out of PA school and not having a job to return to. Generally speaking, I guess I’m wondering if I am intelligent enough to pass PA school? I have pretty good study habits, I read the book, make highlights, then go back and type up notes from the highlights and study those. It has worked very well for me the last several years just looking for whatever inside, anyone may have to offer. 

You are smart enough. It all depends what you want from life. We have several folks on these boards who still work a bit as medics in addition to their PA practice. Lots of factors here: how old are you? How many years until pension? what do your finances look like, etc

If you want this, you can do it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I’m 28, can retire at 55.  Pension will easily provide for me in life later, and I have programs to help financially where I wouldn’t really be out of pocket.   It would just be a financial increase for sure going the PA route.  It would also allow me to do more for people I feel.  I just read countless posts and articles about how dauntless the didactic year is etc.  that it’s very disconcerting. 

Edited by Glooka17

My paramedic program was 2 4 hour classes/week - lots of material to memorize.  My PA program's didactic portion was 5 days/week, about 7 hours of class per day.  There was a proportionate increase in the amount of material to memorize.  The material in PA school wasn't harder than that in my medic program - there just was that much more of it.  Being a long time medic before PA school only helped some.  For example, EKG interpretation, ACLS, childbirth, emergent respiratory management I already knew more than PA school covered.  However, there were entire areas of medicine, comprising probably 90% of the program that was new to me.

I wasn't near as good at memorization as the "kids" in my class - many of whom where the same age or younger than my kids.  That was frustrating, but I got through.  The years of dealing with patients & families in the field, and bringing order to chaos (medicine calls it the "undifferentiated patient") helped some in my clinicals and lots over the years in my clinical practiceof EM.

From the stats you've mentioned, it sounds like you could handle PA school.  But, you couldn't work hardly at all and do so.  I did 1 24 hour shift/month.  As for return, I make 2-2.5x what a FF/medic makes in my area, but I travel & work 180 hours/month to make that.  If I worked locally, it would probably be about 1.5x what FF/medics make at the better paying local depts working ~150 hours/month in the ED.

One thing to think about, at least in Ohio, public pension systems aren't anywhere as generous as they used to be, especially for healthcare coverage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There are a few part time programs out there. They take the first year and do it over 2 years then the regular 2nd year is done as a full time 3rd year. I did the one at Drexel and worked 30 hrs a week as a medic doing critical care transfers and event standbys year 1 and 2 and just the events yr 3. 

On 3/29/2023 at 11:34 AM, Glooka17 said:

I just read countless posts and articles about how dauntless the didactic year is etc.  that it’s very disconcerting.

Didactic was tough because there's just too much to learn in one year. And that's coming from someone who graduated with a 4.2 on a full ride, got academic awards, worked in research, etc.

The challenge for me was my zero medical pre-PA experience. As long as you put in the time and effort to LEARN and be the best PA student YOU can be, you'll fair well. 

If you're still worried, spend some time with PAs who like teaching before you apply. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was also a firefighter/paramedic and left my department at about the same age you are. It was very hard to leave the pension behind. It sounds like you will be absolutely fine in PA school. I am currently in the last weeks of my first year. It's tough and a lot of material. But, if you stay motivated and put in the work you will be just fine. As a somewhat older student, the life experience helps immensely. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. 

• Upvote 1

Being 28 and being able to retire at 55 sounds like you have a long way to go to retire in your present job. That's a lot of working years yet to live, especially if you're not sure it's what you want to do with them. And, if my life is any predictor, what you would like to be doing may change as you live it.

It's great that you're interested in becoming a PA and also concerned about what it would be like to go to PA school. I've seen a few things as as a former paramedic who is now a PA and a PA educator. Most -- but not all -- PA students graduate and become PAs. I've found that a student's drive, organization, and willingness to adapt to new challenges all seem to be markers of success. Many of those traits can be found in paramedics. What the other paramedic/PAs have said above all match what I've seen.

I'm not sure how much shadowing you've done, especially outside of the PAs you probably see in the hospital. Many PAs work in EM but you might want to try to make other connections just to see what the other jobs are like. I was a paramedic who figured I'd like to do EM and then learned that working the night shift isn't nearly the same as sleeping and taking runs overnight. I wanted a little more patient continuity, a slightly more stable schedule (especially because I'm now in my 70s), and the chance to work by myself a little more.

Many PA students figure out what they really like when they do their clinical rotations, but having some ideas before you start can be helpful. Having enough shadowing and talking with PAs can help solidify your thoughts and potentially build the confidence you'll need to take a leap and then hang on tight after you do.

If you're really concerned about your academic power, I would suggest you take pathophysiology somewhere (4 year or community college) while you keep your regular job and see how you do. It's a bit more representative of PA courses and may give you some confidence.

Best wishes!

Edited by UGoLong
  • Upvote 2