What to do with a low GPA :(

Hey Guys,

I'm feeling super discouraged. My GPA as of now is a 2.5, awaiting my grades for the rest of my senior year. I don't think I'll be applying to PA school this round, but now I'm wondering if there's any chance I'll even get into a master's program at all. I have 4000+ hours of direct patient care, but obviously that doesnt mean much with a low GPA. Any advice or anyone applied to a masters program and still got in despite a low GPA?

If becoming a PA is your passion, I would recommend taking more undergraduate classes (especially science classes if your science GPA is low). Most PA programs would like to see a minimum of a 3.0 GPA, and a 3.0 science GPA. If you devote an extra year to taking more classes, or retaking classes you didn't do well in (as in a C), you will be able to pull your GPA up some, especially if you can get A's in these classes. Also, this would show that you are devoted to becoming a PA, even if the path isn't easy.

I would make sure everything else on your application is strong. For example, your direct patient care hours are a great asset to your application. A strong GRE score will also be essential.

Don't give up if becoming a PA if it is your passion!

https://www.washington.edu/medicine/som/depts/medex/applicants/mchs_prerequisites.htm

Medex looks at your last 2 years...so if your grades were tossed early in your college career, you may not have that far to go as you dig yourself out of the GPA hole. However, if your grades are still poor...well...it looks like a least 2 years to go.

A question I have is WHY do you have poor grades? Actually, it's a question that you need to have, and have answered, before applying. Once you recognize why you are falling short you can work on making improvements. Your originial post sounds like you are expecting poor grades now, during your senior year. What is your plan to do better in the future?

• Administrator

You don't need a program, you just need to retake classes. Do it as cheaply as possible at a community college, but get those A's and demonstrate you can handle the science. Even if you get your cumulative GPA up, poor grades in core science classes WILL be a showstopper, so just taking zoology or astronomy or whatever to get your science GPA up won't help your application all that much.

What are your HCE hours in? What's your position(s)?

Why were your grades so poor? What's your Cum. GPA and your Science Prereqs GPA?

How have you fared in the last two years, GPA wise?

It may be an uphill battle depending on some of your answers to these questions, and others like them, but no mountain is too large. You need to create a plan and an outline. I was in similar shoes once and some of the people on this forum helped me out. I'll try my best to return the favor.

You need to figure out if this is what you really want because it will take probably at least a couple of years (4 semesters [and possibly summers]) to get to where you need to be. However, if done correctly, in two year's time you could be a sure candidate in most programs.

Archived