Choosing a photo for a supplemental app?

This is probably trivial, but...

One of my supplemental apps requires that I upload a photo of myself. There are no guidelines or instructions, just a link to upload a file. I planned to upload a photo from like shoulders up.. I have a candid shot and my passport photo file. Which is more appropriate? The passport photo looks more serious and professional, but at the same time I look stone-faced and it doesn't show any of my personality. I have a huge grin on my face (and amazing hair btw) in my candid shot, but is that too informal? What the heck are they looking for?

• Administrator

Here's what I would do: Look at a bunch of medical practice websites. See how their providers are dressed. Dress like that. If they're all in white coats and you're not entitled to wear one, then pick another medical practice to emulate.

In short: Professional head/shoulders shot in a suit.

I just used a casual one, I figured getting it submitted 2 days earlier was more important than dressing up and printing one in a suit. Oh well, if they don't want to offer me an interview because of that, then I guess I don't really want to go to that school. So mine was like your candid shot I guess. I assume that's not the first mistake I will make during these applications, good luck!

Archived