Retaining Information

Dear PA Forum,

I am currently attending the University of Southern Mississippi having transfered from my local community college. I feel as if I have learned so much from my CC and like I am not learning anything here. I realize that there are a lot of people who cram for test and once the test is completed, they forget everything they've studied. This raises quite a concern for me. I know that I can obtain the desired grades, I am just fearful that I won't retain the information. My question being: how relevant are the undergraduate classes once in PA school? Will the instructors teach off of what you 'should' have learned in undergrad or do they start fresh, from scratch?

• Administrator

It really depends on your program. Most programs allow for 7 years to have passed since A&P, so my experience was that there was a ramping up period to get everyone on the same page. Other programs may not have that.

To answer the meta-question, in my experience, students tend to retain information in classes related to their areas of interest better than in classes NOT related to them. I had no problem with having failed to retain anything relevant from my undergrad prerequisites, although I may be an atypical case, because I took each such class in the immediately prior 3 years as an adult learner who already had two graduate degrees.

In my experience as a first year PA student, the important thing is you find several ways that YOU can retain information. You have no idea how the flood gates open once you start PA school. So much is thrown at you at once that you think "there's no way I'll be tested on that, there's no way I can remember that" and then you are and (hopefully!!) you do. Don't worry too much about retaining every detail from undergrad though - mostly likely, you can't and you'll just have to learn it again in PA school, adding several layers of depth. (oh that tiny vessel your A&P instructor said you don't need to know? Well, now you need to know it's 15 branches, what it supplies, what veins run with it and where they branch, plus which nerve supplies those tissues and from where in the vertebral column they come).

The important thing right now is to get good (excellent) grades and learn good study habits. Those that blew through undergrad and passed tests because they were "just smart" are having a harder time now. Learn how to discipline yourself and get into the habit of studying at least a little bit for every (relevant) class every day. Some people can and do cram, but they will need to actually learn the information for long-term retention at some point because everything is cumulative in PA school, and of course when you're done you need to pass your boards.

What I've heard several times and I try to tell myself is that what you need to know and don't learn in undergrad, you'll learn in PA school. What you need to know and don't learn in PA school, you'll learn on rotations. What you need to know and don't learn on rotations, you'll learn in your first 10 years on the job, and so on. No one can know everything in medicine, which is maddening. But, those that think they know everything are dangerous, so better to be frustrated than to be an arrogant jerk that's going to hurt someone right?

You'll be just fine - don't drive yourself crazy now - plenty of time for that once PA school starts :wink:

In my experience as a first year PA student, the important thing is you find several ways that YOU can retain information. You have no idea how the flood gates open once you start PA school. So much is thrown at you at once that you think "there's no way I'll be tested on that, there's no way I can remember that" and then you are and (hopefully!!) you do. Don't worry too much about retaining every detail from undergrad though - mostly likely, you can't and you'll just have to learn it again in PA school, adding several layers of depth. (oh that tiny vessel your A&P instructor said you don't need to know? Well, now you need to know it's 15 branches, what it supplies, what veins run with it and where they branch, plus which nerve supplies those tissues and from where in the vertebral column they come).

The important thing right now is to get good (excellent) grades and learn good study habits. Those that blew through undergrad and passed tests because they were "just smart" are having a harder time now. Learn how to discipline yourself and get into the habit of studying at least a little bit for every (relevant) class every day. Some people can and do cram, but they will need to actually learn the information for long-term retention at some point because everything is cumulative in PA school, and of course when you're done you need to pass your boards.

What I've heard several times and I try to tell myself is that what you need to know and don't learn in undergrad, you'll learn in PA school. What you need to know and don't learn in PA school, you'll learn on rotations. What you need to know and don't learn on rotations, you'll learn in your first 10 years on the job, and so on. No one can know everything in medicine, which is maddening. But, those that think they know everything are dangerous, so better to be frustrated than to be an arrogant jerk that's going to hurt someone right?

You'll be just fine - don't drive yourself crazy now - plenty of time for that once PA school starts :wink:

Awesome response! Thank you.

Archived