Internal Medicine vs Family Practice Fellowship

I recently got into PA school and have always found exploring this form to be very informative along with helpful. I constantly debated doing a fellowship after graduation weighing the pros and cons. I have seen on this form that it is strongly encouraged by more experienced PAs. So, my question is if I had an interest in eventually going into Endocrinology or Oncology/Hematology as a PA. Would it be more beneficial to do an Internal Medicine, Hospital Medicine, or Family Medicine fellowship after graduation? Thank you in advance for reading and replies. 

My recommendation would be to follow the same pathway as the physicians in those specialties.  The docs probably did an IM residency and then a fellowship in heme/onc or endocrinology.

However, before you plan that far ahead, get through your didactic semesters and your general clinical rotations.  Then, if your program allows for elective rotations, try to get one of them in those specialties if you still think you want to go in that direction.  You may change your direction based on what you learn and do in PA school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3