Inspired but not coming across... Input from anyone would be great.

Hi folks -- any input is greatly appreciated. Sort of towing the last-minute deadline here but appreciate any feedback ----

------

When I graduated cum laude with a bachelor's degree in Molecular Biology, the next logical step in my education (and those my peers made) was research or medical school. I knew from experience that research was fascinating but not what I wanted to do the rest of my life. As for medical school, I loved the idea of the education and training, but wasn't thrilled about its rigorous, life-devouring reputation. I trusted that I would figure out my professional calling some day soon enough and instead spent some time experimenting with different jobs. Seven years later, I know without a doubt that being a Physician Assistant is the profession for me.

My work experience is rich and varied: from retail associate to leadership development consultant, office manager to business leader, I tend to work my way through the ranks rather quickly. New environments and challenges are my best motivators; I work hard with steadfast responsibility and endurance. As part of a team, I learn from others, and when working alone, relish efficiency. Though I had myriad professional breakthroughs, made substantial contributions at each company, and acquired invaluable interpersonal skills, the jobs were largely a function of my ability to adapt wherever I land. I was really good at contributing to businesses and companies, but still sought the job that made me tick.

Two years ago, I started investigating my options for graduate school. I poked around online endlessly, read forums and magazine articles, asked friends and family what they thought I should do, imagined myself 20 years from now in "the dream job." I knew I wanted to do something in the medical field, but was still at odds with the all-or-nothing modus of medical school. I knew nursing wasn't up my alley, and considered other options like imaging or surgical technologist, even pharmaceutical or medical equipment sales. However, none of those professions felt like the best choice, and I intended to pick the best.

One Sunday morning while running the wooded trails near Asheville, my running buddy and good friend Bob asked about my graduate school options. He wondered if I had considered being a PA, to which my response was "No, what's a PA?" Over the remaining miles of our memorable run, while Bob described his personal experiences with his primary care provider -- a PA! -- a glimmer of possibility appeared on my horizon.

My hopes were bolstered by online research and conversations with friends and strangers alike. By the end of the following weekend, I had begun a list of possible PA schools, mapped out required prerequisite classes, determined what kind of health-care related jobs would give me access to patient care, where I could take the GRE and what time frame was reasonable for applying to school. I subscribed to several newsletters and joined AAPA. I contacted the local professional chapter to set up interviews with local PAs. I could not believe this gem of a profession was available; I could experience high caliber medical training, have autonomy and responsibility and prescribing rights, function for all intents and purposes like a physician, maintain a balanced life and make a great living. I was thrilled.

When I wasn't obsessing over the details of what prerequisites I needed to fulfill or what was considered a decent GRE score, I talked to people; people who work with PAs, friends whose primary care provider is a PA, family friends who are physicians and work with PAs, random folks who might know anything about the PA profession, and most importantly, I interviewed three local PAs. Each conversation reinforced how I envision PAs: well trained, professional individuals from all walks of life who make patients their first priority, are team players and leaders, seek work/life balance and love their jobs.

The adage "luck happens when preparation meets opportunity" perfectly exemplifies my PA pursuit. Once I made the decision to become a PA, all the checklist items have fallen into place. It hasn't happened without hard work, but it has happened. The most fun part of the process has been imagining myself in PA school, learning about the human body, disease, health care and treatment. I imagine myself as a young PA, learning the ropes and being mentored by physicians, fellow PAs and other health providers. I foresee a future as a seasoned PA, helping patients with whatever ails them, perhaps owning my own clinic. sitting on academic boards or being a member of professional organizations, volunteering to care for the underserved, and mentoring young PAs,

Seven years of searching to find the right profession is relative eternity. Two years of schooling is to obtain the right profession is [fill in the blank: nothing, little minute, doable...something like that]. A lifetime of having the right profession [insert word: priceless, invaluable worth blah blah blah, something significant!]

"When I graduated cum laude with a bachelor's degree in Molecular Biology, the next logical step in my education (and those my peers made) was research or medical school....

As for medical school, I loved the idea of the education and training, but wasn't thrilled about its rigorous, life-devouring reputation. I trusted that I would figure out my professional calling some day soon enough and instead spent some time experimenting with different jobs. Seven years later, I know without a doubt that being a Physician Assistant is the profession for me. "

The way this reads to me ( and I mean no offense) is " I'm smart enough to be a doctor but don't want to work that hard so I figured a good backup plan was pa school."

be aware that most pa students are in class more hrs than the md students for their 2 yrs of school. medschool is 150 weeks in 4 years. pa school is 100 weeks in 2 years. do the math. 4th yr of medschool is electives, vacation, and residency interviewing time and not much else.

also many pa's in practice work more hrs than the docs they work with. docs hire pa's to do the work they don't want to do at the times and places they don't want to do it so they can be home with their families nights/weekends/holidays and not have to work rural, inner city, etc types of practices.

for example docs in my group max out at 140 hrs/mo.

I haven't worked less than 200 hrs/mo for quite a while and often work 220-230 hrs. my "easy months" are 180-190 hrs.

EMEDPA: Thanks for your valuable input.

Next draft below for anyone's perusal:

----

Several weeks ago, during a slow afternoon at the clinic where I work, I sat down with a female patient. She was lying sideways on the exam table holding a piece of cotton to her ear, while a peroxide solution I had administered worked its way down her ear canal to break up wax. For a relatively benign medical issue, she was worried; she had tried several times to pull the wax out with tweezers, and during once such attempt, experienced severe pain. I sat with her as she described her concerns about having a perforated ear drum. I was not in a position to say whether or not her ear drum was perforated, but I did empathize with her. I assured her that the doctor would be able to assess the severity of her pain and if necessary, we would refer her to an ENT for further evaluation. By the end of her visit, we had successfully flushed her ear, improved her pain and alleviated some of her fears. Thankfully, an ENT confirmed that her ear drum was not perforated. This past week, the other doctor I work for (who is evidently a good friend of this patient) said to me, "I don't know what you did when she was here, but she was impressed with how you treated her. You should feel good about that." It was wonderful to hear she had a good experience. It was also wonderful to know that the part I played in her care came instinctively to me. I felt great to be a beneficial member of her health care team. Experiences like this are what motivate me toward becoming a Physician Assistant.

When I graduated cum laude with a bachelor's degree in Molecular Biology in 2005, I suspected I would ultimately end up in the medical field, but I did not know in what capacity. My peers were all moving swiftly towards research or medical school, but I was more interested in gaining unique, varied employment experience before committing to further education. I trusted that my professional calling would arrive soon enough. Seven years later, I know without a doubt that being a PA is the profession for me.

My work experience is rich and varied: from retail associate to leadership development consultant, office manager to business leader, I tend to work my way up the ranks quickly. New environments and challenges are my best motivators; I work hard with steadfast responsibility and endurance. As part of a team, I learn from others, and when working alone, relish efficiency. The jobs I have held since graduating have been wonderful for me and I have made substantial contributions at each company, but that success has largely been a function of my ability to adapt wherever I land. Adaptability is a great skill, but not something on which to rest my future.

Two years ago, I started investigating my options for graduate school. I imagined myself 20 years from now in "the dream job," which I knew involved medical training. One Sunday morning while running the wooded trails near Asheville, my running buddy and good friend Bob asked about my prospects. He wondered if I had considered being a PA, to which my response was "No, what's a PA?" Over the remaining miles of our memorable run, as Bob described PA training and roles, including his personal experiences with his PA, a burst of possibility appeared on my horizon.

My hopes were bolstered by online research and conversations with friends and strangers alike. The opportunity for such high-caliber medical training in a short time frame was music to my ears. Of course, autonomy, responsibility, prescribing rights, work/life balance, and quality time with patients seemed too good to be true. By the end of the following weekend, I had mapped out basic prerequisites, subscribed to PA newsletters, joined AAPA, contacted the local PA chapter to set up interviews and researched options for health care experience. The most fun part of the process has been imagining myself: in PA school, learning about diseases, treatments, and prevention; as a young PA, learning the ropes and being mentored by other members of the health care team; as a seasoned PA, owning my own clinic, sitting on academic boards and professional organizations, volunteering to care for the underserved, and mentoring other PAs. I have found my professional calling.

The adage "luck happens when preparation meets opportunity" perfectly exemplifies my PA pursuit: I made the decision to pursue the PA profession, and everything necessary has fallen into place. I have experienced enough things in life to know when something is meant to be. Seven years of searching to find the right profession is relative eternity. Two years of schooling to obtain the right profession is infinitesimal. A lifetime of having the right profession is a gift. I look forward to a future where I can share the gifts of my education and experience to help others live healthy, vibrant lives.

I like this one better than the first. I'm not loving the "several weeks ago" because it seems like you just recently decided you are interested in this profession, even though that isn't true. I would remove the cum laude, molecular biology bit altogether and try to bring a more personable, emotional perspective. This is the opportunity to get to know you, and it's clear you are intelligent, a hard-worker, resourceful and well-spoken in your essay, but it isn't clear that you love this field, that this fits you like a glove, that you have a passion to become a PA and that you want it more than anything. It is clear that you know how to communicate with and help a patient feel at ease from your intro. I would try to expand on "it felt great to be a beneficial member..." and explain what you felt, what you liked, what you wish you could have done that you will be able to do as a PA, etc.

Archived