Shadowing Q

I'm having trouble finding PAs to shadow; thus far I've shadowed only 1 for two hours. Everyone else has either not responded to my request (via phone, email, even facebook) or can't because of patient confidentiality. I know several MDs who would let me shadow them, should I go ahead and shadow them? How do schools look at shadowing MDs (i've seen several students shadow them in the "stats applicant page"? Would it matter if the person is related to me or not?

If anyone does know any PAs that would be willing to let me shadow them, plz let me know. I'm in the Chicago land area.

Thanks

Desipa,

You'll certainly want to increase the number of hours you shadow a PA, but I think it's a great idea to also shadow a physician or two. Not only will you be working on the same healthcare team with physicians in the future, but it will also help you better understand the differences and similarities between a physician and a PA. This will provide you some substance to the question during your interview of "Why physician assistant and not physician?". As far as finding some PAs to shadow, look at your state chapter of the AAPA and also try contacting some of the university teaching hospitals. Hope that helps!

one way to get around the healthcare privacy issue is to be a volunteer for the hospital. Most volunteers sign the HIPPA and other requisite papers to protect the facility and patient. This way when the PA cites "privacy issues" you can inform them that your hiney is covered by their facility. This is how a local hospital does it in my neck of the woods.

Archived