Pa school admission-low gpa

Hello,

I need feedback from students that are currently PA students or PA-C on duty at this time. I am a 24 year old with a BA in Biology and minor in Spanish. I graduated this past year (may 2011). Ever since I was young I had an interest in the medical field and knew I would be chosing that route. I became aware of the PA profession at an early age by personal experience. I knew right away that this was what i wanted to become. After college I shadowed a PA at the ED and started applying to several PA schools in state (NJ) and out of state (NY). I graduated with a 2.9 cummulative GPA. During my first years of college, I did not achieve the grades i should have, due to my full time job that required a lot of my time leaving no time to focus on school work. I was unable to leave my job at that time due to financial responsibilities and personal problems at home (health issues). To make my story short, my grades werent that great, and on top of all that I was rushing to finish school (15-18 credits per semester). Full time job + Full time Student meant no time to focus on school work and caused me to do poorly on my classes. My grades were all C's C+'s and some B's for the first year or two. I failed a course my first semester (F) and was able to retake it but also got a C+ (CHEM 1). This situation left me emotional unbalance, I felt very unsure about my capabilities to go further onto a medical career. My last year of college I was able to leave work and focus 100% in school and I did so much better while taking 300-400 level courses (A's and B+'s). I felt so relieved after this, because it reassured me that I was able to go further if I wanted to. So I decided to apply for PA school, but the problem now is that my GPA calculated at the PA school is a 2.798 cGPA and 2.67 sGPA. I know this does not make me competitive and I was told by the admission committee that I needed to increase it if I wanted a chance for my application to even being reviewed by them. This past year that I was off from school I decided to take A&P courses and received A's in both classes. But as you all know it is very hard to increase GPA and takes time. Right now at this point in my life, i really dont know what to do.

I am currently working at a pediatrics office as a Medical Assistant. I have gained so much experience and have learned so much. I have been working for 8 months now. I have shadowed a PA and I have rocking letters of reccomendations from the doctors that I work with, and from professors that helped me through my undergraduate career, and know about my aspiration of becoming a PA. The only problem I see here is my GPA, and honetly I dont know what to do next. Right now, I have the chance to take a few courses at the university where I graduated from (biology of cancer course and human health and disease- 3 credit each ) to increase my GPA. But when calculating my GPA even with these courses, it does not go up by much. Most schools require a 2.9-3.0 minimum and I know very well that these are competitive programs.

I never asked for easy, I just want possible. What should I do? I know that I want to become a PA, I've grown passion for the medical world, I enjoy learning new things everyday and I miss school so much. I wish I was enrolled in PA school already. I know that if I wanted to enroll I would have to bring my GPA but this will take me years maybe one or two and I honestly dont want to wait. Besides I am in debt for my undergraduate loans and I will be paying for the classes that I need. WHat do you guys think? Do you think that if I re-apply to PA school they would take a look at my stats and also consider the experience that I have as an MA and also how well I did my last year of school?

Guys, I need your opinion specially from those with experience in the field. I would really appreciate all the help.

Thanks so much guys,

Aspiring_pa8 :)

Archived